How much voltage?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
1,623
right now I have my opteron 170 at 2.7ghz @ 1.525v. My question is if this is too much voltage for this overclock or does it sound about right? I've ran dual prime95 for about 15-20 mintues with no errors, but I need to run a lot longer.
 
I thought 1.525v would be maybe to much voltage so I bumped it down to 1.475v and it still booted to windows. At 2.7ghz my cpu seems to be booting at different voltage settings. Which one do I go with? Do I go with the lowest voltage that allows me to run dual prime95 for a long time, say 4-5 hours or so. I'm a little confused on which voltage to go with. My specs are as follows:

Opteron 170 @ 2.7ghz @ 1.475v (not sure if stable yet)
DFI Lanparty UT nf4 ultra-d
Sapphire x1800xt flashed to x1800xt pe
1gb Geil ultra pc3200
Antec NeoPower 480 v2.0
 
If it runs stable with lower voltage then by all means run it at that voltage. The lower the better. IMHO I would run prime a little longer than than, say 8-10 hours,
 
run the lowest volts you can...and you need to test for longer...as already said look for 8+ hours
 
The last time i ran 2.7ghz @ 1.5v I got an error in prime95 after 15 minutes. I bumped up the voltage to 1.525v and now i'm again running dual prime95. It seems to be running fine. Temps are about 30 idle/ 44 load under this clock speed. This voltage seems a bit high compared to some overclocks i see with the opteron 170, but then again, every processor is different i think in that some need barely any voltage and some need a ton. Am i right? does this voltage seem ok for this overclock? I mean, does it make sense that I up the voltage a notch if it had an error at the next voltage step down, which was 1.5? I don't want to hurt my processor. I believe I have good enough cooling. I know a little about overclocking I just don't know how high of voltage I can go going by the temps i've been getting. What do ya think?
 
Either up the voltage or lower the Processor speed. Untill your stable. I try not to worry about killing my CPU's I don't care if they die after a couple years. Not sure what a "safe voltage is for your setup, but people told me not to run 1.85V into my 1700+ but that is what it took for it to be stable at my desired speed, so i just left it and had no issues for a long time.

Now I think I'm having some problems but I don't think it is voltage related. Course the newer chips do not need such high voltages as the older ones like my 1700+
 
thanks, that kinda makes me feel a little better. I'm gonna prime95 this overclock overnight if I can hoping no errors arise. I've been having some bsod problems with battlefield 2. I think some of them were the ati driver, but I'm not sure if the problems were because of the overclock. These all occured during when I had my opteron 170 at 2.65ghz at 1.5v. I'm not sure if the blue screens were from the overclock. I tested that overclock dual prime95 for 5 1/2 hours with no errors and a max temp of 43 degrees.
 
Back
Top