how much faster are current gen Intel CPUs than my i7-3930K clock for clock?

x509

2[H]4U
I just discovered that my aging ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard and i7-3930K has a problem with 2 of the 4 memory channels. I'm trying to decide if I should get the board repaired by ASUS for less than $200, or spend $1 K or more for a new m'board, CPU, and RAM. help me decide what to do. (y)

Whenever I build a new system, I always do lots of research but right now I have way too much going on, and just getting this board fixed is much quicker/easier. However, if a new system will be a much better performer, then maybe I just need to bite the bullet here. I've been away from this for quite a while, so here is my "dumb" questions:

Assuming that a current-gen Intel CPU has the same 3.20 GHz clock (not overclocked) as my current CPU, would the system run any faster? My current system has 32 GB of RAM, so I'm thinking that my new system should have either 32 or 64 GB RAM.

Assuming that I am going to get new m'board, CPU, RAM, is there any reason to hold off for a few months because ASUS or Intel will be announcing new products soon?

I am not a gamer but I do a lot of work with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and up to about 8 cores, performance will increase. I'm pretty sure that I don't need one of the new AMD Threadripper models.

Did I already say that I have to explain to my "chief financial officer" why I "need" a new system.;)

Thanks.

x509

I am not a gamer but I do a lot of work with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop

Unless you really need the extra ram/mem channels, I'd ride that thing till the wheels fall off.
Otherwise that $200 would be far better spent on a full CPU, MOBO, RAM upgrade.
Last I looked the 9700k was about 20% faster than Sandy Bridge clock for clock, but you'll see a much bigger boost since the 9th gen chips are way better optimized for the adobe suite, not to mention the speed boost you get from higher native clocks, extra cores, and faster ram.

That's my thinking for when my Sandy/Ivy bridge components start to give out anyway. ;)

I'm keeping my 3570k until I see a big jump or a motherboard feature I must have. nothing yet lol

Unless you really need the extra ram/mem channels, I'd ride that thing till the wheels fall off.
Otherwise that $200 would be far better spent on a full CPU, MOBO, RAM upgrade.
Last I looked the 9700k was about 20% faster than Sandy Bridge clock for clock, but you'll see a much bigger boost since the 9th gen chips are way better optimized for the adobe suite, not to mention the speed boost you get from higher native clocks, extra cores, and faster ram.

That's my thinking for when my Sandy/Ivy bridge components start to give out anyway. ;)
Thanks. I guess I can "limp along" with only 2 memory channels and 16 GB. That gives me the time to plan things properly for my next build.

Adobe recommends 12 GB for the current version of Lightroom, but knowing that they are emphasizing performance improvements and "enhanced detail" processing, having only 16 GB might slow things down a bit, but $200 is $200.

x509

Back