How much control does Vista give MS?

amdmadman

Gawd
Question in title. With DCP coming full force in the next set of hardware and o.s. upgrades. How much control will they have really have over how you use your P.C. Will Vista be the end of Deamon Tool's and Clone CD since every peice of software has to be verified buy mircosoft before vista will allow it to install. Just thought i would ask.

amdmadman said:
........ since every peice of software has to be verified buy mircosoft before vista will allow it to install. Just thought i would ask.

Where did you hear or read that FUD?

It's a wild, out-of-context extrapolation based on the perceived evils of a TPM chip.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
It's a wild, out-of-context extrapolation based on the perceived evils of a TPM chip.

How is it out of context? Please explain your comment.

Yeah....

They are not going to go that far. But what they will do is use TPM in conjuction with it's authentication program. If they determine thta you don't have an authentic copy of there products then they can use TPM against you.

But then again if your not using legit products then you deserve it....

With that said tho TPM does have some VERY real benies. I don't know much about it, but from I understand it will offer hardware accelerated encryption, execution prevention, accelerated compression, and a number of other goodies.

The truth is that TPM is your ally against spyware and malare. Very important security measure in hardware no less.

duby229 said:
Yeah....

They are not going to go that far. But what they will do is use TPM in conjuction with it's authentication program. If they determine thta you don't have an authentic copy of there products then they can use TPM against you.

But then again if your not using legit products then you deserve it....

With that said tho TPM does have some VERY real benies. I don't know much about it, but from I understand it will offer hardware accelerated encryption, execution prevention, accelerated compression, and a number of other goodies.

The truth is that TPM is your ally against spyware and malare. Very important security measure in hardware no less.

Very good comment i know very little about vista and that is why i posed the question i asked thank you for info.

will explain then since Deamon tools and Clone Cd are both kernal based(Right?) So if mircosoft does not like it will it still install. I posed the question because i do not know that it is why it is a question.

Microsoft said:
What this means for Windows Vista. To increase the safety and stability of the Microsoft Windows platform, beginning with Windows Vista:

•Users who are not administrators cannot install unsigned device drivers.

•Drivers must be signed for devices that stream protected content. This includes audio drivers that use Protected User Mode Audio (PUMA) and Protected Audio Path (PAP), and video device drivers that handle protected video path-output protection management (PVP-OPM) commands.

•Unsigned kernel-mode software will not load and will not run on x64-based systems.

Note: Even users with administrator privileges cannot load unsigned kernel-mode code on x64-based systems. This applies for any software module that loads in kernel mode, including device drivers, filter drivers, and kernel services.

•To optimize the performance of driver verification at boot time, boot-driver binaries must have an embedded Publisher Identity Certificate (PIC) in addition to the signed .cat file for the package.

What this means for software publishers. For vendors who publish kernel-mode software,this policy has the following effects:

•For any kernel-mode component that is not already signed, publishers must obtain and use a PIC to sign all 64-bit kernel-mode software that will run on x64-based systems running Windows Vista.

First of all, this won't even effect people with 32-bit Vista. As long as you're an administrator, you can install unsigned 1337 h4x0r crap all you want. In 64-bit, the drivers will have to be signed. Most drivers worth their salt are signed today. A software house making a paid program like Alcohol 120% should have no trouble getting their stuff signed, but it might be a bit of a barrier for Daemon Tools. But again, as long as you're running 32-bit it's nothing to worry about.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
First of all, this won't even effect people with 32-bit Vista. As long as you're an administrator, you can install unsigned 1337 h4x0r crap all you want. In 64-bit, the drivers will have to be signed. Most drivers worth their salt are signed today. A software house making a paid program like Alcohol 120% should have no trouble getting their stuff signed, but it might be a bit of a barrier for Daemon Tools. But again, as long as you're running 32-bit it's nothing to worry about.

Finally something i understand thanks for the info. So what does this mean for fair use of my DVD'S and Music. Will i be able to copy movie's to divx and xvid under vista.

Last I checked, neither EAC nor DVD Decrypter installed a device driver. Thus you'll be able to use them both on Vista 32- and 64- bit operating systems.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Last I checked, neither EAC nor DVD Decrypter installed a device driver. Thus you'll be able to use them both on Vista 32- and 64- bit operating systems.

Thank you

Back