How loud is 35db?

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
is there like a website that has sound files on how loud different db levels are?

im thinking of getting a graphics cooler and it says its 35 dB. and i was wondering if that would be too loud. i got 21-24 dB fans....would 35 be that much of a difference?

35db is really great, 1db more means 10 times louder

-iLLuZioN-B18C1 said:
is there like a website that has sound files on how loud different db levels are?

im thinking of getting a graphics cooler and it says its 35 dB. and i was wondering if that would be too loud. i got 21-24 dB fans....would 35 be that much of a difference?

10-15db is the threshold for hearing, every 10db is an acoustic doubling of sound so 20-25db is twice as loud (about a whisper) and 30-35db is twice as loud as a whisper, still pretty quiet.

I think I am wrong, but my case fan said 27db, I feel it is loud

madmat said:
10-15db is the threshold for hearing, every 10db is an acoustic doubling of sound so 20-25db is twice as loud (about a whisper) and 30-35db is twice as loud as a whisper, still pretty quiet.

trochili said:
I think I am wrong, but my case fan said 27db, I feel it is loud

It is likely lying. A LOT of manufacturers measuring tools appear to come directly from an orifice somewhere on the lower hemisphere of their bodies.

What fan is it? A Vantec Stealth? If so it might be damaged, the slightest bump to those things screws the bearings up and makes them growl in a very annoying way...

Here's a good explanation of db and how it scales. I find their formula to be a bit off, a 3db increase is a doubling of acoustic power but not of how the ear perceives it, 3db is a noticable increase in sound pressure. 10db is a doubling of how sound is perceived by your ears, 100db is loud, 110db is way loud, 120 is way, way loud, 130db is too fucking loud, etc, etc.

I've been involved in car audio for over 25 years, 4 years as a pro-level installer and I've spent several years doing OSHA compliance work for a local saw mill and my specs are both agreed upon by practical experience in both fields.

dB-ratings of fans by the manufacturer are usually taken in free-air configuration, i.e. with no obstructions placed around them. The moment the fan is provided with anything other than a perfectly linear airflow, and coupled to an acoustic amplifier (AKA computer case), you'll find out that these ratings are usually completely meaningless.

-iLLuZioN-B18C1 said:

I think those sound files are useless...how do you know how high/low to set your volume at? It all depends on how "quiet" you want your box to be. 35dba might be a little annoying.....anything over 40dba is aggravating to me.

Get the highest dBa/cfm performance fan, buy a fan tuner/adjuster with it, ur set

madmat said:
Here's a good explanation of db and how it scales. I find their formula to be a bit off, a 3db increase is a doubling of acoustic power but not of how the ear perceives it, 3db is a noticable increase in sound pressure. 10db is a doubling of how sound is perceived by your ears, 100db is loud, 110db is way loud, 120 is way, way loud, 130db is too fucking loud, etc, etc.

I've been involved in car audio for over 25 years, 4 years as a pro-level installer and I've spent several years doing OSHA compliance work for a local saw mill and my specs are both agreed upon by practical experience in both fields.

according to one of the charts 40dB is a quiet room....i swear i can hear my 30dB fans running and its not a quiet room.

I have 7 - 37db Fans and It makes a soothing comfortable hum :) It all drowns out tho after a little while

Back