how long till we get blue-ray burners?

I saw an ad for one in either Wired magazine or Maximum PC magazine for a Blu-Ray burner, I didn't notice a release date or anything like that though.

Why not? I use both SATA and IDE and plan to continue to do so. There is a SATA model on that list but SATA brings no benefit over IDE for optical drives.

Wow 25 to 50 gig per disc... not too shabby. but at the current prices. and speeds. Think ill wait a couple years.

Don't forget to wait out the media war too. Who knows which format (if either) will come out on top.

Probably not Blu-Ray. Sony has garbage luck with proprietary formats.

I'd recommend wait as well,

A guy at work was telling me that sony way looseing $600 on each PS3 to put blueray in it..

Didnt sony invent or back; betamax, mini disk, superdisk(120mb floppy) and some other CD format... all failed...

I say wait for blueray to die then buy a HD burner.

I(illa Bee said:
A guy at work was telling me that sony way looseing $600 on each PS3 to put blueray in it..

Didnt sony invent or back; betamax, mini disk, superdisk(120mb floppy) and some other CD format... all failed...

I say wait for blueray to die then buy a HD burner.

They don't loose that much but they do loose a lot. Search for the isuppli break down. Sony didn't invent the super disk either. They had there own version of the floppy drive replacement that was even a bigger failure. Want to say it was called HiFD.

They have had some really great product lines though. Walkman is a good example. For storage devices hey developed the cd(with philips), the 3.5 inch floppy drive, and 8 mm video(video cammeras).

Mini disk while considered a failure by many was kinda a cult hit amoung bands and used a lot to record audio. It was still a failure though

swatbat said:
Mini disk while considered a failure by many was kinda a cult hit amoung bands and used a lot to record audio. It was still a failure though

My only time seeing Minidiscs in use was at a theme park in NC. They use Minidiscs for all of the entertainment stages.

Minidiscs are great because you can re-order songs on the fly and label each track with text. They don't skip and are pretty durable because the disc is enclosed in plastic.

The Minidisc player itself is cool too. It's both a CD player and a Minidisc recorder. You can put a CD in one side, and record it straight to the Minidisc at 4X speed.

Of course, all of that can now be replaced by an iPod!

DSC01171.jpg

my boss bought a laptop with a BD burner...

.... he doesn't even know what that means. (he also paid like $3500 for the machine)

Gatticus said:
Why not? I use both SATA and IDE and plan to continue to do so. There is a SATA model on that list but SATA brings no benefit over IDE for optical drives.
Tell that to all the people using Intel 965 boards.

How you know, I here on waiting on tigerdirect to get cheap liteon dvd r/rw in stock for like ever...

Most of the SATA optical drives I have seen are just IDE drives with IDE to SATA converters attached anyway... It wouldn't be that difficult to use one on a BR IDE device.

Remember the DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W) fiasco?

No?

What do you see now? Drives that will read / write BOTH formats, +/-

It's hard to even find single format DVD burners / readers now anyway.

So, /me is going to wait until we see a BluRay / HD DVD combo drive (highly likely) or one of the formats die (less likely)

Cheers!

sn3ak3rp1mp said:
Remember the DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W) fiasco?

No?

What do you see now? Drives that will read / write BOTH formats, +/-

It's hard to even find single format DVD burners / readers now anyway.

So, /me is going to wait until we see a BluRay / HD DVD combo drive (highly likely) or one of the formats die (less likely)

Cheers!

highly likely? I think not, the diffrence between - and + DVD is not much, where as HD and Blue ray are 2 compleatly diffrene disks, and would need 2 lasers..

I think its almost a not gonna happen.. one will win one will die..

J-Mag said:
Most of the SATA optical drives I have seen are just IDE drives with IDE to SATA converters attached anyway... It wouldn't be that difficult to use one on a BR IDE device.

I tried a converter on a IDE cdrom and it didnt work..? Do they normally?

Back