• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How fast is PCIe?

Stuh505

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
488
I'm trying to compare the Quadro FX 1300 (128 MB) to the Quadro FX 3000 (256 MB). They are both the same price. The 1300 has the new PCI-e and the 3000 has just AGP.

Which one is better? Is there a significant difference?
 
Well the new technology the better I always say. Which will perform better, it's hard to say unless you set them down side by side. The PCI will support SLI no?
 
I dont care about SLI because Im not going to use it

Yeah, the 1300 is newer...but it was made as more of an entry level whereas the 3000 was made to be more of a mid level when it came out.

The specs are vastly different enough on the two that there must be one of the two which is way better...
 
Quadro FX 1300
Memory Size 128MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Graphics Memory Bandwidth 17.6GB/sec.
Graphics Bus PCI Express

Quadro FX 3000
Memory Size 256 MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Graphics Memory Bandwidth 27.2GB/sec.
Graphics Bus AGP 8x

The 3000 appears to be better. What are you designing in?

I could only find a review for the 3000.
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=446&catid=2

According to nVidia's website, actual maximum output of the 3000 is ~15% more than the 1300.
 
If you are buying new, you would be 'excuse my language' st00pid to buy AGP.

QJ
 
QwertyJuan said:
If you are buying new, you would be 'excuse my language' st00pid to buy AGP.

QJ
IMO - It is a workstation, not a gaming rig. The only thing that should matter is performance.
 
kcthebrewer said:
IMO - It is a workstation, not a gaming rig. The only thing that should matter is performance.

Oops my bad, I didn't even pay attention to the fact that he was comparing Quadro cards...

QJ
 
Hey, I'm not stupid guys, just new :p

The fact that PCI-e is newer doesn't matter...Im not going to worry about getting components that will be still good several years in the future. I've learned my lesson. No matter what I buy it wont be compatible with anything good in 3 years, so I just want whats the best deal for me now.

It sounds like the concensus is on the 3000 because of the higher specs. Can you tell me why the PCIe would be better if I wanted to use it for gaming instead?
 
All of the new high end of gaming cards are going to be PCI Express and will be for quite some time. So if you are going to be gaming with upgrading and not doing professional work, the PCI Express option would be for you. If you are not planning on changing out your system for 3 years it doesn't matter.
 
Code:
             Quadro FX 1300   Quadro FX 3000
            ---------------------------------
Memory      |    128MB      |      256MB      
Size        |               |
            |               |
Memory      |   17.6GB/s    |     27.2GB/s  
Bandwidt    |               |
            |               |
Triangles   |    88M        |       100M
per second  |               |
            |               |
Texels      |    2.8B       |       3.2B
per second  |               |

Looks like the only 'advantage' to the 1300 is that it's a PCIe card and, unless you've got a fairly rapid upgrade cycle in mind, I wouldn't even really consider that worth spending money on.
 
Back
Top