How Fast is HughesNet GEN 4 Satellite Service?

ricky_005

n00b
Here are my download speed numbers on the Old HN9000 System. I have the 1.5 Mbps download speed plan. I really don't see what the big deal with the new GEN 4 satellite system. The marketing team at HughesNet has pumped there new GEN 4 plans as if your speed will be 10x to 15x that of their Old HN9000 system. Don't be a sucker and fall for this.

• Do you really think HughesNet and their share holders are going to give you the customer more for your money when they know you have no other option? NO
  • There main goal is to please the share holders, not you the customer!

I will be looking forward to seeing test results for the new GEN 4. I do expect the numbers to be lush in the beginning for there marketing department and customers to spread the speed test numbers all over the forums......This is the way BS marketing works Fokes. But once things settle down, expect HughesNet to start throttling users down so they can load the boat to full capacity ..... Excede did the same thing, leaving customers speeds uncapped for months, expect HughesNet to do the same so they can seed the web with false expectations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old HughesNet HN9000 System: " 1.5 Mbps Download Speed Package"
State: " GA "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:::.. Download Test Results ..:::
Download Connection:: 13293 Kbps or 13.3 Mbps
Download Test Size:: 31.3 MB or 32096 kB or 32865815 bytes
Download Speed:: 1662 kB/s or 1.7 MB/s
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net version:12
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/XGOkUCl
Test Time:: 2012-09-08 00:35:26 Local Time
1MB Download in 0.62 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~11 Minutes - 237X faster than 56K
This test of exactly 32096 kB took 19.779 seconds to complete
Running at 210% of hosts average (Hughes Network Systems)
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.89 Safari/537.1 [!]

:::.. Download Test Results ..:::
Download Connection:: 12893 Kbps or 12.9 Mbps
Download Test Size:: 50 MB or 51200 kB or 52428800 bytes
Download Speed:: 1612 kB/s or 1.6 MB/s
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net version:12
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/moVTAHu
Test Time:: 2012-09-08 01:04:59 Local Time
1MB Download in 0.64 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~11 Minutes - 230X faster than 56K
This test of exactly 51200 kB took 32.531 seconds to complete
Running at 199% of hosts average (Hughes Network Systems)
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.89 Safari/537.1 [!]

As I have already posted
HughesNet Gen 4 - Power PRO " 10 Mbps " plan - Estimates below are based on current crooked management policy.

Policy for HughesNet HN9000 System.
http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/pages/1053.aspx

Gen 4 Estimated Download Speeds in kilobyte per second (KB/s)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 25% = 313KB :( Estimated Download Speed for a good day
  • 20% = 250KB :( Estimated Download Speed during Peak
  • 7% = 84KB :mad: Estimated Download Speed for the Unfortunate Soul

Gen 4 Estimated Download Speeds in megabit per second (Mbps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 25% = 2.5 Mbps :( Estimated Download Speed for a good day
  • 20% = 2.0 Mbps :( Estimated Download Speed during Peak
  • 7% = 0.67 Mbps :mad: Estimated Download Speed for the Unfortunate Soul
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current TRUE download speed numbers on the Old HN9000 System currently using now is in the mid 300KB range. So I don't know where this new and improved internet experience is going to come from. LMAO

HughesNets Management Policies are so Crooked they make Verizon look Honest!

EDIT 9-8-12
PLEASE NOTE:
Policy for HughesNet HN9000 System was revised this week due to an incompetent HughesNet error I pointed out! Apparently HughesNet doesn't know the difference between a byte and a bit. That explains the slow speeds users have been experiencing for the past DECADE!

Last edited:
While I understand some people have to use satellite for internet access due to living in rural areas what kills me is all the speed in the world is moot when you only have 150mb / month data cap.

Also they are probably just unlocking more bandwidth and calling it upgraded technology.

I am no sure what H net uses as far as radio to satellite transmission tech but I was in the military and we ued KU band satellite equipment and I have seen several hundreds of megabits/s both directions on our equipment

Bandwidth is there but they are making cash on not allowing any of it to be released.

Had a friend with this setup, he let it go; expensive, slow, data cap

guy gets by with his android phone now

Back