How does Vista's Windows Defender compare to adaware SE PRO 1.6R?

Providence

Limp Gawd
Norton 2006 with protection service disabled + adaware 1.6 R1 pro = a VERY clean system. Say what you will, but I go to all corners of the Internet, and I have no adware/malware/virii to speak of.

How does Windows Defender compare to adaware pro in terms of effectiveness/performance? I haven't used it.

I won't touch anything Norton with a 10 foot stick....but I digress.

I use a hardware firewall (my wireless router) that hard connects to my main PC, then on the rig itself I run AVG 7.5, and Windows Defender. Nothing else. I even have drive folders shared across the internal network. Never had a problem or virus, and I run AdAware SE Personal and Spybot S&D about once a month.

Defender holds its own, thats for sure. Definition Updates are regular for it which is always a +. The big thing I feel Defender has going for it is performance. That is, unlike Norton (*shivers*), where you noticably feel when it decides to scan your system, via escalated cpu useage; Defender does not. MS, along side Vista have adjusted the priority setting of Defender and many other applications, that when they decide to scan your computer run in a low priority (low cpu) mode. It runs just as quick, while using minimal CPU power. Whats great is, if you put it along side, say WMP 11, which has an escalated Priority (though it doesn't say that in the Task Manager), and Defender starts scanning there are no hickups, glitches, or lags to WMP 11.

Defender is a darn good solution for simple scanning/prevention. Its free, so go ahead and try it out. If you feel your other software works better then by all means switch back. Life is all about choices, don't be afraid. =)

I've tested numerous programs extensively and Defender is one of the worst as far as finding new malware unfortunately. Spy-Bot and Ad-aware are some of the best, followed by AVG Anti-Spyware, but even they miss quite a bit as there is so much garbage out on the net that is written everyday and distributed as something its not or imbedded.

Superantispyware

Give it a try, I've seen it catch things that the others miss.......

I have seen Defender take over a cpu when used in XP, more than once.

I'll never touch the internet without Spyware Doctor 4.0 installed.

Vista requires version 5.0, which is available in Beta form here:

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/beta/

You can also use this as the Demo to try it out.

I've used them all, and SD is the best there is IMHO (and many others). There are only two downsides to it, both minor:

1. It's initial startup at boot time takes a bit of time.
2. The "AutoUpdate" requires too much user intervention.

These may have been addressed in 5.0, but I won't know until later today.

Defender is actually GiantAntispyware which was one of the best Antispyware suites in the world at the time.

Microsoft bought the best and used it for defender so defender is a very good program :)

Does Defender actively keep out tracking cookies and serve as an effective popup blocker as well?

Anything is better than norton imho. I can't even start counting the problems i've seen with norton installations on Various computers, home and office (that is the personal and the enterprise version). From sluggish performance to denying access to vital system tools to simply not detecting viruses etc.

Norton Anti-Virus is definately subpar and their system suite (firewall etc.) is even worse!!!!

I'm going to disagree. You just have to know how to use the software. I have a fairly high end system that I keep very clean and fast, and Norton is just going to be a part of it. Not the firewall, not the popup blocking, not the protection service....just virus scan, the core component of it. Spliced with Adaware 1.06R1 I really have to disagree with you...no slowdown, even while playing games during scans, no problems, no virii.

Does Defender actively keep out tracking cookies and serve as an effective popup blocker as well?

If you are using IE, Firefox or Opera you already have a popup blocker and the option to block third party cookies. You don't need an anti-spyware prog to stop this behavior. What's more important is to use preemptive blocking of known bad sites and advertising companies. To do this use Spywareblaster if using IE and/or Firefox, the immunize feature in Spybot and use a hosts file to block sites. Using the noscript plugin for Firefox is a must have too as it stops all javascript except on the sites you choose to allow it on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie#Privacy_and_third-party_cookies
Advertising companies use third-party cookies to track a user across multiple sites. In particular, an advertising company can track a user across all pages where it has placed advertising images or web bugs. Knowledge of the pages visited by a user allows the advertisement company to target advertisement to the user's presumed preferences.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.

FYI... I've run into a problem with the Spyware Doctor 5.0 Beta.

When installed, the system slowly loses internet connectivity, to the point where it doesn't work at all. Weird. I removed it and the issue went away.

I'm going to send them an email and see if it's a known issue.

Back