• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How does the Ci7 940 OC??

I would consider used. You can easily get an i7 920 for less than $200 probably less than $180 used.
 
I would consider used. You can easily get an i7 920 for less than $200 probably less than $180 used.

10-4, I looked..........not much there.

I do like new once in a while......and given my recent troubles......new sounds good to me.:D
 
^^^ Ya.

I like my i7 950, but it doesn't really make sense to spend $270 on an i7 940 anymore. If mine died out of warranty, I'd likely move to an i7 2600K (or maybe just use the i5 661 system more) until LGA 2011 comes out.
 
^^^ Ya.

I like my i7 950, but it doesn't really make sense to spend $270 on an i7 940 anymore. If mine died out of warranty, I'd likely move to an i7 2600K (or maybe just use the i5 661 system more) until LGA 2011 comes out.

Well X58 is going to be here a while, and frankly these chips do as much or more than I need. I cannot justify 299 for a 920, but a 940 for 270 ain't bad, all things considered, I guess.

I do not want a Sandy Brigde, and if I could wait I'd get a LGA 2011, but I'm in a pinch right now, with a seemingly defunked board or chip.....so I have to do what I have to do.
 
Well X58 is going to be here a while, and frankly these chips do as much or more than I need. I cannot justify 299 for a 920, but a 940 for 270 ain't bad, all things considered, I guess.

I do not want a Sandy Brigde, and if I could wait I'd get a LGA 2011, but I'm in a pinch right now, with a seemingly defunked board or chip.....so I have to do what I have to do.

Actually, $270 for a 940 is still too high, IMHO. And there have been absolutely no new steppings of that 940 whatsoever since it was discontinued in Fall 2009 in favor of the i7-950; all of the 940s have been of the extremely early C0 stepping that's been shown to require massive voltage increases just to overclock much if at all. In fact, unless where you're buying from charges a very high price (well over $300) for a newer 950 or 960, the newer CPUs would have been better buys for the money.

What's more, the 920 is also no longer in current production. The lowest CPU that's still available new is the 950.
 
Last edited:
Actually, $270 for a 940 is still too high, IMHO. And there have been absolutely no new steppings of that 940 whatsoever since it was discontinued in Fall 2009 in favor of the i7-950; all of the 940s have been of the extremely early C0 stepping that's been shown to require massive voltage increases just to overclock much if at all. In fact, unless where you're buying from charges a very high price (well over $300) for a newer 950 or 960, the newer CPUs would have been better buys for the money.

What's more, the 920 is also no longer in current production. The lowest CPU that's still available new is the 950.

Thank you.
That's exactly what I was wanting to hear.

The egg still has 920s and 950s..........from what you've said, I guess a D0 920 would be my best bet.

Thanks again.
 
3.8 ghz or more

Maybe so. The sad truth is, however, that (like most C0-stepping CPUs) it would take a relatively massive increase in the Vcore to get to even to that level. And that would also require outstanding CPU cooling solutions since the core temperatures would have approached the thermal throttle-down point on relatively low levels of overclocking. The 940 I used at another friend's place needed 1.415V to even get to 3.7GHz - and then, even though that CPU had a Noctua NH-D14 cooler the temps still reached 90°C at full load. At that point I declared that the CPU required a super-expensive water-cooling solution or a liquid nitrogen cooler to even reach this level of an overclock, let alone 4.0 GHz.
 
Back
Top