How does a network printer work?

killerasp

Gawd
We have a LaserJet 4400 here at work. It is connected to the LAN via ethernet, but for some reason it is installed on the Windows server and shared on the network. Is this how all network printers work? I thought network printers would grab an IP from the DHCP server and clients would be able to add the printer via "add network printer" in windows. But in this case, its going through our windows 2003 server.

It should have an ip address. Can you print a config sheet and see if theres an IP address? If so, try adding it as a printer on another workstation VIA ip address, to do this:

Add printer. LOCAL PRINTER (yes i know, even thuogh its a network printer) and tell it not to auto detect. Choose "Create a port" and then choose "Standard TCP/IP port" from the drop down box. In the "Printer name or Ip address" box, type in the IP address from the config sheet. Port name will fill in automatically. You can probably get through the rest.

it all depends on how you set it up... you prolly setup a jetdirect service on the 2003 server and now it's all spooled thru the server, but still connected to the network...

Direwolf20 said:
It should have an ip address. Can you print a config sheet and see if theres an IP address? If so, try adding it as a printer on another workstation VIA ip address, to do this:

Add printer. LOCAL PRINTER (yes i know, even thuogh its a network printer) and tell it not to auto detect. Choose "Create a port" and then choose "Standard TCP/IP port" from the drop down box. In the "Printer name or Ip address" box, type in the IP address from the config sheet. Port name will fill in automatically. You can probably get through the rest.

thanks man.

killerasp said:
We have a LaserJet 4400 here at work. It is connected to the LAN via ethernet, but for some reason it is installed on the Windows server and shared on the network. Is this how all network printers work? I thought network printers would grab an IP from the DHCP server and clients would be able to add the printer via "add network printer" in windows. But in this case, its going through our windows 2003 server.

There are a couple of reasons for setting up the server as the print server instead of having the clients print directly to the printer itself

1. Drivers - Since the server is sharing the printer, the clients can connect and download the printer drivers from the server instead of relying on the user to select the make and model when printing direct.

2. Print Queues - Imagine if a users print job screws up and starts printing garbage, On the server end you could just purge the problem document, however if the clients are printing direct, then you need to track down the client computer and purge it from there.

3. Printer use tracking - You can see how many pages are being printed by each user by checking the event logs.

4. Permissions - Maybe not everyone should be using the printer, in that case you can set permissions on who can use the printer and who cannot.

5. Printer Pooling - If you have more than one of the same make and model printer, you can set them up in a printer pool so jobs are "load balanced" between both of them.

There are a few more reasons, but these will give you an idea of what you can do by using a server to handle print jobs.

SJConsultant said:
There are a couple of reasons for setting up the server as the print server instead of having the clients print directly to the printer itself

1. Drivers - Since the server is sharing the printer, the clients can connect and download the printer drivers from the server instead of relying on the user to select the make and model when printing direct.

2. Print Queues - Imagine if a users print job screws up and starts printing garbage, On the server end you could just purge the problem document, however if the clients are printing direct, then you need to track down the client computer and purge it from there.

3. Printer use tracking - You can see how many pages are being printed by each user by checking the event logs.

4. Permissions - Maybe not everyone should be using the printer, in that case you can set permissions on who can use the printer and who cannot.

5. Printer Pooling - If you have more than one of the same make and model printer, you can set them up in a printer pool so jobs are "load balanced" between both of them.

There are a few more reasons, but these will give you an idea of what you can do by using a server to handle print jobs.

thanks alot man. i will definitley setup a print server on another machine when im done with everything.

Yea, i agree its better to have the printer setup like that than my way, I was just giving him my way as a test to see if it had an IP address and he could print to it :)

killerasp said:
thanks alot man. i will definitley setup a print server on another machine when im done with everything.

Leaving it on the server isn't a bad idea though. The server will always be on, (should have) redundancy built in, and it doesn't take much resources. Windows servers are designed to be file and print servers.

leave it that way...

Xerox installed a 2240 printer/photocopier here and that's they way they set it up and told me that's the best way... and IMO it is for reasons already stated above me.

QwertyJuan

Back