How do you name your drives?

ya, i find now no point in partitioning, or spliting thigs up on so many drives just so you have things on diff drives.

just have a good root folder structure and use extra drives as backup drives if you got the room on others
 
I name my drives:

C: OSAPGA (Operating System, Applications, Games)
E: Entertainment
M: Media
W: Work
 
/dev/sdb2 /
/dev/sdb1 /boot
/dev/sdc1 /usr
/dev/sdc3 /usr/portage/tree
/dev/sdc4 /var/cache/http-replicator
/dev/hda1 /home
/dev/sda1 /home/$USER/Music/Live

Simple enough for me.
 
Windows
Programs
Graphical
Renders
Video
To Burn
Downloads
MP3's
Installs
External 250
 
c: Jason
d: Worthing
e: (dvdplayer- no name)
f: (cd burner - no name)
g: (virtual drive - no name)
h: (virtual drive - no name)
i: (virtual drive - no name)
j: (virtual drive - no name)
k: Yo_Mamma (gigabeat)

I swear it never gets old - people come up to me asking why type of "ipod" am I listening to. I respond with a simple "yo mamma!" Stink'n animals.
 
I usually name the drives according to what they are being used for. I find it better to be descriptive. For example: C: System, D: Storage and etc.

That's exactly how mine are labeled. I also name my external drives by that name with a capacity. For example, my Seagate 300 GB USB drive is EXT300.
 
That's exactly how mine are labeled. I also name my external drives by that name with a capacity. For example, my Seagate 300 GB USB drive is EXT300.

Yeah, well if you do that you just give the terrorists and evil hackers more information on the drives they liberated from you.

Conversely, why help George Bush cronies by telling them MORE about your drive? At best mix and match company names for drives and random sizes.

Sheesh.. to quote my high school health class teacher: "protection people it's all about protection".
 
Conversely, why help George Bush cronies by telling them MORE about your drive? At best mix and match company names for drives and random sizes.

That's ill-informed paranoia if I ever saw it. Why would George Bush be able to read your hard drive labels? What makes you think that if he can read those he can't see the rest of the data? Computers are good at searching through large amounts of data; if the NSA can read your computer (why would they want to? what would they do with all that data?) they'll find what they want whether you label it nicely or not.
 
That's ill-informed paranoia if I ever saw it. Why would George Bush be able to read your hard drive labels? What makes you think that if he can read those he can't see the rest of the data? Computers are good at searching through large amounts of data; if the NSA can read your computer (why would they want to? what would they do with all that data?) they'll find what they want whether you label it nicely or not.

First off, it's not ill-informed paranoia, but well documented fear. Wire tapping, random seizures of property, and a slew of privacy rights violations litter his presidential wake.

Second, the argument is NOT to give him any more ground when he tip toes through my networks. Any shred of evidence or coherent data may help him in some fashion, and he must be opposed at each step - thus randomizing the company names and sizes of the drives.

Third off, why WOULDNT the NSA want to traipse through my computer? The more data they have on me the more they can profile me, vastly shrinking my autonomy and through the profile eclipse my being. Nothing more would satisfy the State if they can kill my being and churn me out as bio-power. No longer can you walking anonymously through a crowd - everything must be know about you, what you are doing, where you are going. I want my anonymity back!

Fourth, again - we must oppose those who will engage in destruction of liberty at every step. If *they* can find use in knowing my drive names and sizes at a glance then we must oppose this.

Fifth, you have clearly blown my joke out of proportion, thus making me ladle out even MORE bullsh*t with a silver spoon.

Take a deep breath, the knee jerk reaction to something anti-Bush made me laugh some, but I have written far too much for the issue. Now I am going to go self medicate my being.

:p
 
So let me get this straight. You're actually serious about not naming your drives, so that it's more difficult for the NSA to tell what's on you're hard drive?

I don't know what's worse...the technical inaccuracy of your statements, or the flat-out lunacy of your thinking.

Dear god, man, get off the forums and go back to your underground bunker. :rolleyes:
 
So let me get this straight. You're actually serious about not naming your drives, so that it's more difficult for the NSA to tell what's on you're hard drive?

I don't know what's worse...the technical inaccuracy of your statements, or the flat-out lunacy of your thinking.

Dear god, man, get off the forums and go back to your underground bunker. :rolleyes:
You forgot to give him his tinfoil hat :p
 
No naming here, it would simply take too long :D
 
First off, it's not ill-informed paranoia, but well documented fear. Wire tapping, random seizures of property, and a slew of privacy rights violations litter his presidential wake.

Second, the argument is NOT to give him any more ground when he tip toes through my networks. Any shred of evidence or coherent data may help him in some fashion, and he must be opposed at each step - thus randomizing the company names and sizes of the drives.

Third off, why WOULDNT the NSA want to traipse through my computer? The more data they have on me the more they can profile me, vastly shrinking my autonomy and through the profile eclipse my being. Nothing more would satisfy the State if they can kill my being and churn me out as bio-power. No longer can you walking anonymously through a crowd - everything must be know about you, what you are doing, where you are going. I want my anonymity back!

Fourth, again - we must oppose those who will engage in destruction of liberty at every step. If *they* can find use in knowing my drive names and sizes at a glance then we must oppose this.

Fifth, you have clearly blown my joke out of proportion, thus making me ladle out even MORE bullsh*t with a silver spoon.

Take a deep breath, the knee jerk reaction to something anti-Bush made me laugh some, but I have written far too much for the issue. Now I am going to go self medicate my being.

:p

Do you really want to end your breach of privacy? Do you really want to end all the rights being taken away from you?

I have your solution.

Get off the internet, unplug your network cable, throw away the modem.


Problem solved.
 
What's in my box right now:

C: Vista
D: SATA 320-1
E: SATA 320-2
F: SATA 320-5

10 320GB drives, and only 4 SATA ports. Damn, do I ever need a RAID controller. I name my drives according to size, obviously. There's also a SATA 160-1 and SATA 160-2 sitting on my desk right now. All drives contain the same material - Anime.
 
Get off the internet, unplug your network cable, throw away the modem.

Problem solved.

First off, I never been on this "intranet" you speak of. Second off, see below.

Nicely trolled, sir :eek:

Thank you, but it wasn't just my doing. A joke has blown up to be a troll. Kinda like how a map can turn into a power-ranger-esque monster.

You forgot to give him his tinfoil hat :p

I just upgraded to tin foil hat 2.0. You should too.

So let me get this straight. You're actually serious about not naming your drives, so that it's more difficult for the NSA to tell what's on you're hard drive?

I don't know what's worse...the technical inaccuracy of your statements, or the flat-out lunacy of your thinking.

Dear god, man, get off the forums and go back to your underground bunker. :rolleyes:

First off, no I am not serious about not naming my drives. I am serious about MISLABELING my drives to make it more difficult for the NSA/Bush/terrorists/haxors. Again, every human has a moral obligation to check tyranny at every step. Any assistance to tyranny - no matter how small or mundane - is morally wrong.

Second off - what's inaccurate about changing the way the way you label something? It's technologically sound - I've done it! If you need a FAQ or something I can probably produce one. Just because Poppa Bear Bush says label your drives one way doesn't mean you can think outside his octogonally sided box.

Third off, the claim of lunacy is just that - a claim. You need a warrant to make it an argument.

Fourth off, see below.


The below:
People, people, people. Everyone reading this with some interested needs to take a deep breath. Now release. Repeat three more times. Better? My initial post was a joke - really it was. I wasn't trolling or casting out any bait - it was a joke. Due to some lack of translation on other peoples part, this is starting to get out of hand. Joke folks. jay-oh-kay-ee. Stop morphing my posts into things beyond the joke they are – that’s rude and uncouth – or so says my buddy’s mom. More tea? Of course, if need be I will defend any grenadas tossed over the bunker wall.

Have an enjoyable day, and stop making trolls out of mole hills. :D :cool:
 
Third off, the claim of lunacy is just that - a claim. You need a warrant to make it an argument.
No, I'm pretty sure we have enough proof right here. In my 7 years of being here, your viewpoints are the most ridiculous, paranoid drivel I have ever read.
 
Yeah, well if you do that you just give the terrorists and evil hackers more information on the drives they liberated from you.

Conversely, why help George Bush cronies by telling them MORE about your drive? At best mix and match company names for drives and random sizes.

Sheesh.. to quote my high school health class teacher: "protection people it's all about protection".

No shen here, are you serious or just being a slightly retarded monkey?

I really can't tell :(
 
I name mine according to size and purpose.

C: 74_Boot
D: 400_Images
S: 400_Stuff
X: 300_Gamez
 
Before I started playing Guild Wars, I used to name the C;\ winxp or whatever OS is on it.
Then others would depend on whats on them, like games, arena etc.
Now I have 2 PCs and in one
C:\tyria
D:\cantha

The other
C:\tyria
D:\elona
 
No, I'm pretty sure we have enough proof right here. In my 7 years of being here, your viewpoints are the most ridiculous, paranoid drivel I have ever read.

First, as I tell my kids high school kids - repeating the claim over and over, while tacking on MORE claims does not make an argument. You need a warrant - in this case proof the alleged comments by me are "flat-out lunacy". Of course the definition of lunacy is fairly vague to begin with. I personally, and impersonally, have read many a lunatics arguments: ATI !!!!!!z, people supporting macs as a viable computational platform, and people who support curry as a viable alternative to Taco Bell. *shrug* Not everyone's lunatic bar is equal, and some lunatic bars are more equal than others. Oh, and above - yeah, still a joke. Quit making it a troll out of my mole hill of a joke. Smile, laugh, it's good for you.

No shen here, are you serious or just being a slightly retarded monkey?

I really can't tell :(

First, I would direct you to my multi-quoted post at 10:50AM 2007.02.06. There, at the "Below" you will find your answer.

Second, does it sound like I am serious?

Third, retarded monkeys is not only insensitive to monkeys on short busses, but to most monkey kind.

Fourth - meh.. there is no fourth. Sorry, lunch was good.


Again, I had one minor tangential post and people are inflating it like Tedd Kennedy's liver. :p

---- --- --- ---- --- --- ---- --- --- ---- --- --- ---- --- --- ---- --- ---

Work drives:
A:
B: intranet - test
C: local disk
D: dvd drive
E: CD-RW
F: Personal
G: DVD drive
I: Dev
J: ISDEPT
K: sysapps – test
L: sysaps – prod
T: Share
U: Share
V: share – prod
Y: Intranet - prot
 
I name my drives like an array, starting from 0.

Machine_Name00
Machine_Name01
Machine_Name02

etc.

After a week you start remembering what's on what.
 
C: System
D: Pedo. Porn
E: Snuff Vids
F: Rape Porn
G: Mesophilia (tub girl)
H: Vag. Fisting
I: Anal Fisting
J. Beastality
K: Amature (my home videos)
L: Golden showers


disclaimer: obviously I'm completely joking. If I was going to label my drives that way, they'd at least be alphabetical after system. B/c I'm anal... pun intended! :)
 
C: System
D: Pedo. Porn
E: Snuff Vids
F: Rape Porn
G: Mesophilia (tub girl)
H: Vag. Fisting
I: Anal Fisting
J. Beastality
K: Amature (my home videos)
L: Golden showers


disclaimer: obviously I'm completely joking. If I was going to label my drives that way, they'd at least be alphabetical after system. B/c I'm anal... pun intended! :)


Aww.. where's the necro, or are you not hardcore enough? Hahahaha..
 
Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Games, Media

Used to call the extra (non OS) ones The Big One, The Small One, and The Loved One but that got old.
 
What's in my box right now:

C: Vista
D: SATA 320-1
E: SATA 320-2
F: SATA 320-5

10 320GB drives, and only 4 SATA ports. Damn, do I ever need a RAID controller. I name my drives according to size, obviously. There's also a SATA 160-1 and SATA 160-2 sitting on my desk right now. All drives contain the same material - Anime.

This is how I name them as well and find it very easy to use. I only buy Western Digital drives so that makes it easy as far as brands go. I just now started getting SATA drives, so I may need to change this. By adding S or P at the beginning or end.

I also use a Dyno Label maker and put it on the connection side of the drive (will probably start putting them on the front as well.
 
Back
Top