How do you expand a file from Win 7 CD?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
Remember in Win XP Pro, there is a DOS tool call Expand?

you can expand a compressed file from WIN XP pro Cd. Is there such a program in Win 7 CD? Because I can't find it

Open a Command Prompt where the file you want to expand is located (Shift+Right-click on the folder and you'll be get a "Open command window here" option, then use the command:

expand <compressed_filename>

That should cover it without issues.

Thanks guys. Now I have a 2nd problem, how do you find a file in the original Win 7 Pro DVD?

it's different than the old XP Pro. It seems the whole thing is jammed under a big file called install.wim that is 3.68GB, there is no individual file to expand

Use 7zip to extract the .wim file. Be sure to accommodate at least 15GB+ of free space for the file to expand.

If you think one of the Windows files is corrupt, use System File Checker on that machine and it'll do a test to check not only for corruption but that each of the actual Windows files that make up the OS have the proper digital signatures as well (not forged ones). Open an Administrative Command Prompt and use this command:

sfc /scannow (then press Enter)

It'll take some time to complete as there's a lot of files to check but, in the end you'll know for sure what's corrupt if such things exist. You'll need to keep your Windows 7 installation DVD or whatever close by if required - it'll pull the replacement files and get your system back to a non-corrupted state.

thanks, very useful, I didn't know that trick. I thought misrosoft kill that software

it finished off and said "WIndows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

I have some suspicion on the tcpip.sys file, I assume SFC checks this file?

Last edited:
SFC checks every protected Windows system file, so if it's inside the Windows directory and it comes from Microsoft, it's one of the files that SFC will verify. If it gave you that message and found no problems, you're good to go.

Back