How Do YOU Encode Your Movies?

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been doing this for a while but only with TV shows. Well, I decided to do this with my movie collection. However, the TV shows I've done don't look so great on my new HDTV. I don't want to notice a dip in quality so I'm curious what program you're using to encode your movies.

I have settled on using MKV or possibly going with the raw ISO files, but I would prefer to encode them to save space. I've been using AVI.net but I don't want to use AVI any more which also rules out the other that I use and that AutoGK. So, let me know what software and settings you're using.

I recently started doing this as well. After some research, I settled on ripping my DVDs to x264 format with an approximate file size of 1.5GB per file. It definitely looks better than the standard mp4's/avi's you find out on the web...especially when comparing files of the same size. I have been using Handbrake to rip them to the HD then DVDfab to convert them. I've heard AutoGK is a great program to convert, so I downloaded it. However, I can't seem to figure out how to use a folder as a source. The DVD rips I get from Handbrake consist of several VOB files and various others. Maybe you could help me out with this one lol. I also dont even know if my choice of file format and size is best. I just didn't want ginormous files that'd fill up my HD too quickly.

Abandon AutoGK, all it supports is AVI and you're on the right track. Use x264 and MKV. It's the best combo. If I'm not going to use raw ISO files then I'm going that route I just need to know what the best software is these days. I've been thinking of Handbrake but I wasn't sure.

It seems that the encoding software is more important than the ripping software. The most popular Ive seen are Handbrake and DVDshrink with handbrake definitely being the most popular. If you got the space, then definitely keep the ISO files. Ive got a 500GB hard drive that'll fill up real quick with 4+ GB movies, thats why Im shrinking.

i dont really see the reason to encode dvds. hard drives are so cheap now days. to me its alot of work for degraded image and sound when its not necessary. i can see why people would encode the 30-50gb blurays nut not 3-5 gb dvds.

i dont really see the reason to encode dvds. hard drives are so cheap now days. to me its alot of work for degraded image and sound when its not necessary. i can see why people would encode the 30-50gb blurays nut not 3-5 gb dvds.

So, about how many unencoded DVDs could I fit on a 2TB HDD? Also, how easy are they to play from Media Center? Is that built in?

For dvds I just use dvdshrink into TS folders. They play fine with 7mc.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

What about using DVD Decrypter and using the VOB file that it rips that has the audio and video in one file?

doesnt matter it will read it fine... mediabrowser or the native DVD library

Yea DVD Decrypter will work fine. And I think the average movie is like 7-8GB. They are pretty much all dual layered. So you could fit about 240 - 280 movies, uncompressed on a 2TB drive. Give or take. The DVD library is nice because you just rip into your DVD folder and Win7 MC will pick it up. A lot quicker than encoding, and keeps the best quality.

So, about how many unencoded DVDs could I fit on a 2TB HDD? Also, how easy are they to play from Media Center? Is that built in?

I can answer that from experience. I currently have 498 DVD ripped to my Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220 4TB unit and have exactly 512gb of space left. Every movies are ripped "folder method" except 5 of them I had to rip them in ISO because of the size spoofing DRM (40-70gb instead of 4-7gb).

edit
DVD Decrypter to ISO
then after i've accumulated a hundred gb or so
i run them through handbrake to AVI.

How are you doing that? Handbrake only supports mp4 (m4v) and mkv.

they are, the files are just named *.AVI. they play they same in media center and match the naming scheme from my pre-handbrake era. the encoding is H.264.

Also, if you strip everything but the main movie, you can get around 4-4.5gb uncompressed each.

I just use MakeMKV and strip off everything but the main title. Its quick (no transcoding) and easy (about 2 button clickes) but still saves a little space. I may have to rething things when I go Blu but, for now, hard drive space is cheap enough to do it this way.

I just use MakeMKV and strip off everything but the main title. Its quick (no transcoding) and easy (about 2 button clickes) but still saves a little space. I may have to rething things when I go Blu but, for now, hard drive space is cheap enough to do it this way.
What size do you end up with?

How long does this typically take? If I wanted to convert to H.264 after this how long would that take? Is there a start to finish check list or instruction lis for this?

Question about encoding to MKV..

is it possible to keep the video and subtitles separate, and be able to turn it on when watching the movie? I'm hearing impaired, so I need subtitles, but when someone else in the house watches movies without me, they won't want to see subtitles burned into the MKV.

I am using Badaboom and sending them out to a .MP4 except for BluRay and they are all ISO.

I am using MediaBrowser or My Movies depending on the room I am in

doesnt matter it will read it fine... mediabrowser or the native DVD library

Yea DVD Decrypter will work fine. And I think the average movie is like 7-8GB. They are pretty much all dual layered. So you could fit about 240 - 280 movies, uncompressed on a 2TB drive. Give or take. The DVD library is nice because you just rip into your DVD folder and Win7 MC will pick it up. A lot quicker than encoding, and keeps the best quality.

Roughly 300

I can answer that from experience. I currently have 498 DVD ripped to my Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220 4TB unit and have exactly 512gb of space left. Every movies are ripped "folder method" except 5 of them I had to rip them in ISO because of the size spoofing DRM (40-70gb instead of 4-7gb).

Also, if you strip everything but the main movie, you can get around 4-4.5gb uncompressed each.

Well, that sounds like the ticket then. I'm going to buy me a couple fo 2TB drives and just go uncompressed. For now I'm not going to be doing my BDs. I need to figure out the best way to encode them first since uncompressed just isn't feasible. I do want to do my TV series though. I guess I need to get a BD-Rom for the main system now.

How long does this typically take? If I wanted to convert to H.264 after this how long would that take? Is there a start to finish check list or instruction lis for this?

I'm actually finding that it depends on the copy protection on the disk; MakeMKV has not failed to rip a disk for me but it does so with varying levels of ease. A typical rip goes just as fast as your drive can read the disk, so under 10 minutes for a lot of movies. For those with copy protection which MakeMKV does not like it might be more like 20 minutes to half an hour. Still, not too long.

As for transcoding to H.264, it will depend on your processor, but you'll be looking at multiple hours per movie. "Start to finish checklist" will vary depending on which program you use to transcode. I've played with handbrake a little bit and there are a lot of options to tweak such that you get your ideal combination of size versus quality. Once you get the settings figured out there shouldn't be too much work to transcode your library, just lots of processor cycles.

Question about encoding to MKV..

is it possible to keep the video and subtitles separate, and be able to turn it on when watching the movie? I'm hearing impaired, so I need subtitles, but when someone else in the house watches movies without me, they won't want to see subtitles burned into the MKV.

There's no need to keep them separate. You can mux the subtitles to mkv and just turn subs on/off at your will.

I'm actually finding that it depends on the copy protection on the disk; MakeMKV has not failed to rip a disk for me but it does so with varying levels of ease. A typical rip goes just as fast as your drive can read the disk, so under 10 minutes for a lot of movies. For those with copy protection which MakeMKV does not like it might be more like 20 minutes to half an hour. Still, not too long.

As for transcoding to H.264, it will depend on your processor, but you'll be looking at multiple hours per movie. "Start to finish checklist" will vary depending on which program you use to transcode. I've played with handbrake a little bit and there are a lot of options to tweak such that you get your ideal combination of size versus quality. Once you get the settings figured out there shouldn't be too much work to transcode your library, just lots of processor cycles.

Thanks for the info. I think i'll start with MakeMKV and go from there. I tried handbrake and wasn't patient enough to mess with all of the options. My current PC is a couple of years old so I may hold off on the h.264 for a bit.

I also use MakeMKV and love it. It rips quickly does its job and separates the chapters, which makes it perfect for TV seasons.

There's no need to keep them separate. You can mux the subtitles to mkv and just turn subs on/off at your will.

This doesn't work for mkv's in Media Center, unless something has changed in the past couple months. I am trying to figure how to do it now but installing a dreaded codec pack. Using just haali's & MC doesn't allow subtitles with mkvs.

If you use XBMC it will do it. XMBC's default player is "DVD player". It will play mkv's without Haali, ffdshow or any codec packs. I don't know if you can download just the player though. I think VLC media player supports subtitles in mkv files.

Last edited:
VLC does support it, but its not nearly as user friendly as MC (at least visually)

I've been doing this for a while but only with TV shows. Well, I decided to do this with my movie collection. However, the TV shows I've done don't look so great on my new HDTV. I don't want to notice a dip in quality so I'm curious what program you're using to encode your movies

For DVD's I use AutoMKV with a 3300 video bitrate. I set the audio to AC3, original channels and 384kbps. I find that the default RemoveGrain(mode=2) filter makes the mkv look better than the original DVD. If you have a big HDTV it will make the picture much more clear. File size is in the 2.5-2.7GB range.

For Blu-ray's Ripbot264 is the way to go.

Excellent, good to know. Thanks. :)

Handbrake 0.9.4 can do the soft subs for you.

For new DVD's with the bad title information so that it looks like 70GB you can use DVDFab and rip the correct title to a normal folder setup. You lose the menu but can still do everything else.

Handbrake 0.9.4 can do the soft subs for you.

I know handbrake can do it, but can you turn them on/off in media center? I know you can do it with VLC, but didn't think it was possible in media center (without a good deal of work with filters and codec packs). Please correct me if I am wrong, as it is bugging the crap out of me.

Separate question about mkv's in MC. Does anyone know why the volume for my mkv rips are really quiet? For my Video_TS files I have it around 20-25 for volume, but mkv's need to be 50-70 to hear everything. Any tips of what I can change? Thanks.

For DVD's I use AutoMKV with a 3300 video bitrate. I set the audio to AC3, original channels and 384kbps. I find that the default RemoveGrain(mode=2) filter makes the mkv look better than the original DVD. If you have a big HDTV it will make the picture much more clear. File size is in the 2.5-2.7GB range.

For Blu-ray's Ripbot264 is the way to go.

Thanks!

I'll give those a try. I'm going to hold off on my Blu Ray movies but I think I'm going to give what I have on Blu Ray TV shows a try first. We need bigger HDDs.

Back