How do you deal with dynamic ip addresses?

The Lurker

Fully [H]
This is a silly question but given how many years has past the last time I did this something new had to have come about.

I have a dynamic IP address issued to me by my ISP. I have a server at home that I would like to use once in a blue moon to host files via FTP. Problem is, if my IP changes and I don't know about it I can't log in.

Currently I have my router sending my IP to a dyndns service with no-ip.com. This is something I did ages ago to get around the problem.

Is there a better solution?

Does it have to be FTP? You can easily share files via Dropbox without having to know any IP addresses.

noip.com is what i use, along with their automatic address update client

this is because i am cheap and will not pay for a static IP from my ISP

I use DynDNS and No-IP for customers who want me to manage their network but won't pay for a static IP address. The ~$25/year packages are chump-change for this.

Yup I have my Exchange/web server at home running on a static IP. I just use zoneedit as my DNS and my router updates the IP if it changes.

I don't know how your ISP is, but I don't think my IP has ever changed, even if the modem is rebooted. I have had this setup for like 2-3 years too.

If your ISP allows you to host a web page on their domain, you can write a script to put your IP address on your web page, run it automatically say every 5 mins.

Then write another script to be given to people who will use your FTP.
This script grabs the IP and updates either lmosts or hosts with the IP so they can just type in your servers name.

If your ISP allows you to host a web page on their domain, you can write a script to put your IP address on your web page, run it automatically say every 5 mins.

Then write another script to be given to people who will use your FTP.
This script grabs the IP and updates either lmosts or hosts with the IP so they can just type in your servers name.

that's gotta be the ghettoist rig i've ever heard suggested in [H]

also, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND, lmfao

Agreed lol.
Works great though
About 10 years ago I used this method without any issues.

Does it have to be FTP? You can easily share files via Dropbox without having to know any IP addresses.

I have a drop box account and use it frequently, but sometimes I have some big files that may not fit or need people to have a place to easily put stuff for me to pick up. Also, I sometimes need access to my media.

I have no issue with the DYNDNS service. I honestly was just curious if something better has come along.

Is there any way for me to register my own domain and use it with a DYNDNS somehow?

I have a drop box account and use it frequently, but sometimes I have some big files that may not fit or need people to have a place to easily put stuff for me to pick up. Also, I sometimes need access to my media.

I have no issue with the DYNDNS service. I honestly was just curious if something better has come along.

Is there any way for me to register my own domain and use it with a DYNDNS somehow?

Zoneedit. They have are my domains DNS host, and also provide DYNDNS service. I think it was like 10$/year.

Yeah, DynDns (and I believe every other dynamic dns service allows this, but you will have to pay a yearly fee.) I think Dyn is a little bit pricier than the competition, but they typically are supported on the largest set of hardware devices (routers, etc.) No-IP is a big contender in this area as well. Any of them will work. You basically buy your domain name, and redirect the nameservers to the service's nameservers, each provider tells you exactly how to do this.

Yeah, DynDns (and I believe every other dynamic dns service allows this, but you will have to pay a yearly fee.) I think Dyn is a little bit pricier than the competition, but they typically are supported on the largest set of hardware devices (routers, etc.) No-IP is a big contender in this area as well. Any of them will work. You basically buy your domain name, and redirect the nameservers to the service's nameservers, each provider tells you exactly how to do this.

This is what I do. I bought a domain name each for DynDNS and No-IP, then set DNS according to their instructions. I haven't had a serious problem with either, both are well-supported in most DynamicDNS packages/programs/whatever; DynDNS probably gets a slight nod for being more prevalent where only a single provider is allowed/used.

Generally Dyn and services like theirs are set-it-and-forget-it, unless you change your password, then you need to make sure you change the password in the router.

Otherwise, easypeasy.

IPv6 is easier, since it should never change, but it's not deployed universally.

I've used Namecheap and have someday domains dynamic and some static and it works great. No issues. 10 bucks a year (or less depending on tld)

Always on internet IPs rarely change. I've had my IP for over a year. We got a huge power outage a couple months back and my batteries did not last so I had to shut stuff down, came back half an hour later and I got the same IP as DHCP servers tend to give out the same IP to the same MAC if it's not given out to someone else. I have my own DNS server and I just manually go in and change it if it changes. I used to have dyndns but I had to go renew it every week or so for the account to stay active and one time I forgot and lost the account so I just never bothered to make another. I probably could easily make my own system like that but just never bothered.

Back