How do i setup two router together

Handbrake

Limp Gawd
This is my primary router LinksysWRT54GS which is connected to the Internet via WAN port
It has
1xWAN Port
4xLAN Ports

My Second router is Linksys BEFSR41
It has
1xWAN Port
1xUplink Port
4xLAN Ports

My initial understanding was go connect uplink from Primary router to uplink on secondary router? but my Primary does not have Uplink port.

My Primary router is using a default Class C address that came with the router 192.168.1.1

I want to set a secondary router to network 2 as of 192.168.2.1

Is this possible ?

if you want a secondary network, you have to double-NAT, which is never a good idea.

To do that, you would use the WAN port on the BEFSR41

The uplink port is just if you wanted to add a switch to the existing 4 ports of the LAN side of the router. Say you had..oh..8 computers that you wanted behind the router, there's only 4x LAN ports..so you need more.

Uplink ports were on older routers years ago, back when most hubs 'n switches were only 10/100 and no MDI-X, either use an uplink of one of them, or a crossover cables. These days most of that stuff is long gone, with auto MDI-X or gigabit..which supports auto MDI-X..the need for crossover of uplink ports is pretty much gone on fairly recent hardware.

usually the 'uplink' ports on home routers are considered the "wan" port. the non-uplink ports are actually a switch. you cannot route between 2 or more ports that are not one of the so-called uplink ports.

Back