How do I set up 2 WANs on 1 LAN?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have a location that has a Comcast connection.

How do I get another connection, whether it be from Comcast or another Internet provider?

We have a 2nd location that connects to the main office through that Comcast pipe. But, we're getting a 3rd location and I would like that 3rd location to connect to the main office using another Internet pipe... does that make sense?

So, if I get another connection from Comcast or Verizon or whatever... and another modem... how do I add that connection to our current 192.168.100.xxx network?

Thanks!

So if I have this right you have three sites.

Site 1: Main site with comcast.
Site 2: Current satellite with comcast.
Site 3: New site.

Site 2 connects to site 1 over a point to point VPN? And now your looking to get another internet connection for site 3 to do its own site to site, but you want to load balance the two WAN connections so that everything funnels to the same LAN?

You would be better off keeping the one comcast connection at your current site, getting more bandwidth and and then having the 3rd site connect point to point on that single comcast connection. An extra $100 or so a month for the extra up speed is a lot cheaper and easier for you to manage then having two WAN connections.

So if I have this right you have three sites.

Site 1: Main site with comcast.
Site 2: Current satellite with comcast.
Site 3: New site.

Site 2 connects to site 1 over a point to point VPN? And now your looking to get another internet connection for site 3 to do its own site to site, but you want to load balance the two WAN connections so that everything funnels to the same LAN?

You would be better off keeping the one comcast connection at your current site, getting more bandwidth and and then having the 3rd site connect point to point on that single comcast connection. An extra $100 or so a month for the extra up speed is a lot cheaper and easier for you to manage then having two WAN connections.

That pretty much sums it up! Site 2 connects to site 1 over RDP (Remote Desktop connection)... Site 1 has Windows Server 2008 that acts as a Terminal Server.

I don't necessarily need to load balance the two, just create a new connection in Site 1 so that Site 3 can connect through it, as to not saturate the existing connection.

But, I think your suggestion is definitely the best... I think we'll just up the speed in Site 1. Although, having a fail-over (in case Comcast goes down) would be nice, too.

That pretty much sums it up! Site 2 connects to site 1 over RDP (Remote Desktop connection)... Site 1 has Windows Server 2008 that acts as a Terminal Server.

I don't necessarily need to load balance the two, just create a new connection in Site 1 so that Site 3 can connect through it, as to not saturate the existing connection.

But, I think your suggestion is definitely the best... I think we'll just up the speed in Site 1. Although, having a fail-over (in case Comcast goes down) would be nice, too.

Do you just have port 3389 NATed to the outside world or do you have an actual VPN setup? If not get a VPN of some kind working as RDP is not a secure connection at all.

As far as load balancing goes, yes it is a cool idea but you need to have a firewall that supports it.

You should probably setup a VPN.

pfSense/Vyatta and a number of other products will let you setup a site to site VPN they also have load balancing and other technologies on them however you won't load balancing the VPN traffic.

Back