how do i send a single UDP packet to a system?

defenseman

[H]ard|Gawd
is there a command like ping to send just one UDP packet to a computer?

if there is not a windows command, is there a simple program that will allow me to do so?

any particular reason why you want to? sorry for not answering your question - just curious as to what your trying to achieve. might be able to suggest something if i know what your actually trying to do.

atomiser said:
any particular reason why you want to? sorry for not answering your question - just curious as to what your trying to achieve. might be able to suggest something if i know what your actually trying to do.

my task is to be able to send a single or more UDP packets to another computer...like a broadcast. i just need to be sure the computer is able to receive data through UDP. ping works fine, so i know the network is fine, but i need to test a single UDP packet right now, and then later on, be able to send many...like 100-1000. the network im building needs to support a lot of data in the later stages.

defenseman said:
my task is to be able to send a single or more UDP packets to another computer...like a broadcast. i just need to be sure the computer is able to receive data through UDP. ping works fine, so i know the network is fine, but i need to test a single UDP packet right now, and then later on, be able to send many...like 100-1000. the network im building needs to support a lot of data in the later stages.

So you need to send UDPs packets across a live network to design a network that will be built later? You'll forgive us if we believe that sounds incrediably odd.

Malk-a-mite said:
So you need to send UDPs packets across a live network to design a network that will be built later? You'll forgive us if we believe that sounds incrediably odd.

umm. why does that sound odd? im in the beginning stages of building the network. as of right now, i need to test UDP packet transfer.

Does DNS work on the network? DHCP? SNMP? If so you should be fine. Unless you have some firewalls in place or some special configs setup on your switches, and routers there should be no reason UDP traffic wont go over it. If you have to grab a copy of Knoppix, and use hping.

defenseman said:
umm. why does that sound odd? im in the beginning stages of building the network. as of right now, i need to test UDP packet transfer.

Maybe because UDPs are used for DOS attacks? ;)

If your "testing" a network, shouldn't you be testing it with applications that will most likely be used in production?

Give us more information as to what the network will be used for and maybe you will get a response as to how you can go about "testing" it properly.

SJConsultant said:
Maybe because UDPs are used for DOS attacks? ;)

If your "testing" a network, shouldn't you be testing it with applications that will most likely be used in production?

Give us more information as to what the network will be used for and maybe you will get a response as to how you can go about "testing" it properly.

...not if your creating your of applications! there will people above me working on UDP communication between computers later on. as of right now, i need to show my higher-ups exactly how much UDP traffic is being sent and recieved.

Back