how do I make my PC's talk to each other both ways? help me setup network.

dr.kevin

2[H]4U
here's my home network.
as shown, A can see B, but not vice versa.
I need to know how to configure the ip settings and hardware so that B can see A.

(I need to keep both the cheapswitch and the wrt54g router where they are. I can't just hook everyone up to the WRT54 because it is the bittorrent router, and if it freezes, and B were connected, then B would be blocked from the internet. so B gets its own port on the cheapswitch.)

http://i46.tinypic.com/r08nj7.png
r08nj7.png

Last edited:
Sorry, tinypic never works for me (too lazy to actually figure out why - it works on my other machines, and sorta works here, I can hit the main page but images always stall) so I can't see your diagram.

From your description I'd guess that you have a router in between A and B, in which case A can connect to B because the router is doing NAT for it, but unless specially configured, it can't route traffic from B to A. Not sure if the vanilla WRT54G firmware allows you to configure it in a way that will work, let's see your diagram and go from there.

Edit: Okay, I got un-lazy and looked at your diagram. What is the purpose of the WRT54G at all? Unless you *want* A and B to be isolated, I can't see why you wouldn't just attach all these machines to the switch, or if necessary repurpose your WRT54G as a switch.

yeah. i figured it out.

i turned the WRT into a switch.

i have to keep A and B separate because A is a bittorrent hog, and depending on load, I've had linksys routers freeze up that way

Last edited:
Why can't you just hook everything up to cheapo switch and do the port forwarding from the modem/router device?

Back