How do I kill MsMpEng.exe?!?!

DellAxim

Gawd
I have a limited amount of memory to work with right now on my computer running XP pro. (512mb) I'm trying to get rid of all the unnecessary CRAP microsoft seems to think I must run at all times.

I have the process "MsMpEng.exe" running at all times, using 18mb of memory and constantly accessing the HD. Google tells me this is part of windows defender, which I have set NOT to run unless I ask it to. Why is this friggin process always running?!?! If I kill it, it just comes right back. How can I get rid of it, permanently?

Go to start / run / type services.msc and look for that service, set its startup type to manual and see if that makes the trick

I'm trying to get rid of all the unnecessary CRAP microsoft seems to think I must run at all times.

I've never had a problem with it. Do you have it scheduled to run during the day or something? Schedule it to start at like 2AM.

WD doesn't use many resources at all (even on 512).

It isn't really crap, either... It's something you should have. Adds a bit more protection (not just scanning, but warning you about other questionable items).
And Microsoft doesn't include this. You have to download it on your own :)

You need to go into the denfeder thing (should be in Control Panel->Security Center), go into it's options and either try to completely disable it, or uncheck the ticker that says something along the lines of "enable real time scaning"

Go to start / run / type services.msc and look for that service, set its startup type to manual and see if that makes the trick

That seems to have worked...thanks!

I've never had a problem with it. Do you have it scheduled to run during the day or something? Schedule it to start at like 2AM.
I don't have it scheduled to run ever. It starts when I decide to open it, no other time.

WD doesn't use many resources at all (even on 512).
It uses 18+mb of memory. That is a HUGE amount when you only have 512. And it's not even doing anything useful while it's wasting all that ram.

It isn't really crap, either... It's something you should have. Adds a bit more protection (not just scanning, but warning you about other questionable items).
What's crap is that there have to be services running wasting my resources when I'm not using the god damn thing. I hate any software that does that. When I close something I want it CLOSED, no exceptions.

I've never seen it use 18MB, but then again I don't even see that service running, and I'm using Defender right now with all default options...

The point of Windows Defender is to be on all the time, such as AV software. If that's not what you want, uninstall Defender and use something like Spybot. You could also get one of the newer AV packages that does malware scanning as well.

Back