How do I configure Tomato for internet access?

• Thread starter Deleted member 80813
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80813

My SMC router died last week after 3 years of faithful service.
I replaced it with a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router.
Works fine. Then I flashed it with the Tomato firmware.
Everything in Tomato seems to work fine except now I have no internet access and since there is no documentation for Tomato I am stuck. I figure it is something simple I am overlooking. Any ideas?
Thanks

I am assuming you have already checked to make sure the outside interface is setup acquire IP address automatically?

Can you ping an internet ip (4.2.2.2) from the router itself? If so you might just need to reboot or repair your Local Area Connection. Static IPs on your network? Do you have the right default-gateway address?

That tomato looks interesting. I have a WHR-G54S that I have been running DD-WRT on for a year. I haven't been all that happy with the stability of DD-WRT, especially since my PIX at home died and I had to start using it as my firewall, too. The stock buffalo firmware worked just fine but i had to go dicking around with crap . . . . .

Anyway, I'm going to throw that tomato on there now and see what happens. :)

Well, that sucked balls. I can get on the internets now but my wireless is completely hosed. I can connect for a few seconds and then it craps out over and over and over again.

I might do a hard reset on it and see what happens. Overall, my impression so far is that is is alchemy/dd-wrt with a few pretty graphs and no chili-spot. . . .

But to your problem. I would recommend doing a hard reset of the router, to "factory" defaults kind of reset, reboot it again and set it up from scratch, see what happens. If that doesn't work for you then I would suggest flashing it to a version of DD-WRT and see if you have the same problem.

Well the router could ping out and I reset all the settings and still nothing.
I am calling it a rotten Tomato.

Guess I will have to try DD-WRT.

New update. While messing around with things I tried plugging my laptop directly into the DSL modem. No connection there either. After a quick call to Verizon, it turns out that I have an old Dumb Modem. I have to air gap it, leave it unplugged and disconnected for 6-8 hours for it to reset. Then I should be good to go. I think my old SMC router was hooked up to it since day one, so that would explain things.

I've never heard of having to power off a DSL modem to let it "reset". DSL is usually either purely bridged..where you WAN IP device is set to just obtain auto, or...PPPoE..the more common one...you probably have this one and need to configure the WAN interface of router router for PPPoE..and enter your user/pass.

I've never heard of having to power off a DSL modem to let it "reset". DSL is usually either purely bridged..where you WAN IP device is set to just obtain auto, or...PPPoE..the more common one...you probably have this one and need to configure the WAN interface of router router for PPPoE..and enter your user/pass.

Nope not on this dinosaur. I left it unhooked and off power over night. I reset Tomato to defaults and hooked everything up this morning. Tomato picked right up on the modem this time and everything works great. Now on to the tweeking.

BTW the old modem I have is a Westell WireSpeed from Verizon. Doesnt cost me anything and I have 3Mb/s|768kb/s.

I found Tomato more stable than DD-WRT...esp the wireless.

Yeah, DD-WRT isn't exactly stable I have found out. Good thing CRON can reboot the silly thing for me every morning . . .. .

I found Tomato to be worse for me with my WHR-G54S. I couldn't get the wireless to work on it at all. Not even with encryption turned off and hard reset. Oh, well. . . .

Back