How DARE my neighbors get a WiFi network?

lorcani

2[H]4U
I've had a wireless network running between the 3 computers in my house. 2 use USB adapters to connect to the Linksys router, and 1 is directly hooked into one of the back ethernet ports. Everything was running smoothly, until just a few days ago. Before, only one network showed up in the Windows XP list of WiFi networks to connect to, aptly named "linksys." Now, 2 more appeared, one called "SpeedStream," and one called "Judd." I also noticed that I am being booted off the network more often, and the little networking icon is trying to connect to the 2 new networks, presumably because its trying to get a signal any way it can. However, it can't access them. All 3 are unsecured networks (I know, I know). Could the 2 new connections be causing interference? If so, how do I stop it? Is there any way to remove the networks from the "available networks" list? This is really boggling me.

i don't have much experience (read:none) but i would assume that the introduction of two new AP's for your computers to detect would confuse it a wee bit. I'd set it all up to run exclusivly on your network, and not try to do anything with the new ones. ]

of course, i don't know how you'd do this. but i'm sure you could just use XP's nifty little network wizard thingy to set it all up correctly.

I'd cancel your internet and your network and just use theres! :D

(Im joking for you legal nazi's)

as long as all your wireless devices are set to use a certain SSID that is unique to your house, they shouldn't be hopping on to the neighbors, and it shouldnt cause any interference. just make sure you arent setting your wireless clients to 'auto detect wireless network' or anything.

Yep. Save yourself $40 a month and use theirs!

But try switching channels on your router. Theres a list of Wifi networks in network properties or something like that in XP that you can connect to. Move yours to the top.

Not to be harsh, but really, the problem isnt that your neighbor got wifi, its that you never really set yours up. change the ssid, turn wep on, and set your own network, what ever you call it, as the prefered network on your pcs.

Originally posted by SoulkeepHL
Not to be harsh, but really, the problem isnt that your neighbor got wifi, its that you never really set yours up. change the ssid, turn wep on, and set your own network, what ever you call it, as the prefered network on your pcs.

The man is right. Set up your clients to only connect to your SSID and use a WEP key, also make sure you are on a different channel than the other two. You want to be atleast thee channels away if at all possible, five would be preferred.

Someone said there shouldn't be any interference in one of these posts. That's bullshit. There very well may be with multiple AP's in the same airspace. Another post gave good advice to put yourself on a non-overlapping channel from your neighbors. I'd get something like netstumbler, assuming your card is supported, and find out who has what, then talk to them and see if you all can't come to an agreement. One of you would be on channel 1, another on 6, and the third on channel 11. That will eliminate any interference where your neighbors AP's are concerned. A unique SSID and WEP will secure your WLAN, and should definitely be done, along with MAC filtering, static IP's and ACL's if your router supports them. SSID's and WEP have absolutely nothing to do with interference but it will stop your client from associating to your neighbors AP. Wireless security is something you should problaby talk to your neighbors about when you discuss channel selection with them.

Also, you should try and get your AP 5 channels away from their to minimize interference. As per the 802.11 spec you're supposed to only have up to 3 channels overlapping withing signal range of one another: 1, 6, and 11 are the one's you'll usually see (in the States). Once 802.11 gets more popular and those channels start filling up, look for pretty much all hell to break loose in the "WiFi wars".

Heh, I think I just coined a phrase :)

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. Do you know what channel Linksys routers default to? Also, where do I change the channel for that particular router?

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Change channels? Get WEP? Turn off wireless zero and use a real configuration program?

All manufacturers seem to center on channel 6 for some ungodly reason.

So, I can only see WiFi networks that are set up on my certain channel? I changed it from Channel 6, to Channel 11 (5 away).

Also, kleptophobiac, I have to ask... what is Wireless Zero?

I'm actually in the same situation.

The problem is only annoying if you use a certain device (laptop or Handheld PPC) that is meant NOT to be configured for a specific SSID.

For instance, I set my PPC to connect to any open access point, because I use it in places like libraries, work, and home, where I dont want to constantly have to be changing properties to connect to specific SSID's or not.

I found out one of my neighbors has an open access point with open internet connection. My network is set up totally opposite, filtering by MAC addresses, etc.

Of course everytime I come home I could set my SSID to match my home router, but thats pretty inconvenient, especially on a PPC, that runs WinMobile2003.

Of course, free internet broadcasted around the neighborhood aint a bad thing either :eek: :eek:

Windows XP has, by default, a service that runs called Wireless Zero Config. It takes the place of the software configuration utility by the manufacturer of your wireless card. It's micro$oft's effort to make Wifi "easier" Well... It's easy until a situation lile this. Wireless Zero Config (WZC) has a VERY annoying habit of not sticking to a specific preferred network. Also WZC is a pretty heavy service. meaning that it uses a considerable amount of resources both CPU and mem)

If you're adventurous and depending out you confort level with XP, I'd suggest killing the WZC service permanently and installing the client software for your wifi cards on your XP boxes and reset them up thru that. Also like everyone else said change the wifi channel and SSID, add WEP, etc...

Hook up that MAC address filtering as well. the only time the word MAC is worth mentioning...
:p

Originally posted by dwayne001
Hook up that MAC address filtering as well. the only time the word MAC is worth mentioning...
:p

Hay, those are harsh words there. :(

Disable SSID broadcast, You have to manually set the SSID in the device manager for your nic's. disable the routers DHCP and setup static IP's, enable WEP.

If you are having interference problems you can try lowering the power output of your network, you can also make changes to things like beacon interval and other advanced items. Some of these things may slow throughput a tad, but will increase the stability, a worthwhile trade.

I had the same problem with my neighbors, but they kept changing there ssid and channel to match mine. they couldn't get on because i use mac filtering, but it kept screwing up my network. so i jumped on their wap, changed the password, disabled the wireless and turned on mac filtering with nothing in the list. havne't had a problem from them in 2 months now.

Originally posted by LittleMe
I had the same problem with my neighbors, but they kept changing there ssid and channel to match mine. they couldn't get on because i use mac filtering, but it kept screwing up my network. so i jumped on their wap, changed the password, disabled the wireless and turned on mac filtering with nothing in the list. havne't had a problem from them in 2 months now.

LOL, that's so funny. I'm about ready to do the same to our neighbor's WAP. It's nice to know that someone else is on the same wavelength as I am.

Originally posted by LittleMe

It'll be sweet if they figure out it was you by MAC logs on the router and press charges!

If they were running an open WAP with the default ssid, no password, and no filter, I'm thinking they don't know how to check the MAC logs :D

BTW guys, thanks for the suggestions! Its been a full week without any interference or being booted offline!

not like you can really do anything with just a mac anyway, nor does a default configured AP store those for any length of time.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
not like you can really do anything with just a mac anyway, nor does a default configured AP store those for any length of time.

Unless they've got a registry of who's MAC addy is associated with what person, about the best they could do is find out the manufacturer of the WNIC (and maybe the model). I don't know about you, but I don't think I'm going around the neighborhood asking people what their MAC addresses are. And even if you did, there isn't anything that says they'd have to tell you what it is.

Originally posted by batkiwi
It'll be sweet if they figure out it was you by MAC logs on the router and press charges!

nah, i have a beta microsoft wap, i can change the MAC to whatever i want.

Originally posted by BobSutan
Also, you should try and get your AP 5 channels away from their to minimize interference. As per the 802.11 spec you're supposed to only have up to 3 channels overlapping withing signal range of one another: 1, 6, and 11 are the one's you'll usually see (in the States). Once 802.11 gets more popular and those channels start filling up, look for pretty much all hell to break loose in the "WiFi wars".

Heh, I think I just coined a phrase :)

The reason why you use 1,6, and 11 is because the other channels have overlapping waveforms and you have alot more interference and lost packets.

Scew wifi :) I just networked my house with Cat5e before it was finished being built. I have network drops in every room in the house.

MAke sure you turn off SSID broadcast as well, so at least they cant see your AP.

If you make a lil linux box you can configure each single setting of your connection.
Just a recomendation.

MAke sure you turn off SSID broadcast as well, so at least they cant see your AP.

NetStumbler can't see it. SSID's can still be sniffed. Good idea to turn off broadcasting of course, just doesn't make you "invisible"

Back