How can i extract video from youtube?

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
edit: I didn't create this thread, if your seeing me as the OP (like I am), I don't know why that is. Before me there was a post of someone trying to find a program which could download youtube videos, though I don't remember the details. It seemed to me he was looking for some software, rather then a website, to do it.

www.mux.am
www.vixy.net

thats all I've got. Hope that makes things a little easier.

hehe Now that's a bit odd, since I distinctly remember seeing the OP and it wasn't from MrWizard6600... looks like the [H]ardness is getting a bit (S)oft...

When viewing the youtube video in Opera at least, the flv file is downloaded to the %temp% folder as flaxxxx.tmp.

Start the video and then pause it. When it's fully downloaded, go to the temp folder and use Unlocker's copy action to copy the file as flaxxxx.flv to some other folder.

Unlocker allows you to copy files while they are in use. Once installed, you can right-click on a file to invoke it. Search google for it.

Then, you can play the file in videolan or convert it with some program like MediaCoder.

I've been using a program called VideoCacheView. Works great, and for both IE and Firefox.

I use Orbit. Free. Works great with IE and Firefox. Grabs more than just youtube, basically any flash based/flv embedded video player.

I use the Firefox extension Video DownloadHelper. Then I watch the FLV videos files in VLC Player.

I second that choice also. Although it gets a little tricky selecting the right file when using sites like Dailymotion since they have multiple flash objects on the same page.

I apologize for the minor thread jack but I use VLC for playing FLVs too. However skipping around in videos is impossible (the file just stops playing). Is there any plugin of some sort or some other free video player that will allow me to do such a thing?

If you're pulling video off of youtube, you may also be interested in this:

AoA Extractor allows you to pull the audio directly out of the .flv flash video and save it to mp3, wave, or AC3. Can be helpful...

http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

edit: oh yeah, and it's free

As for the playback, MPC (Media Player Classic) can handle FLV files pretty easily, especially if you have FFDShow - the best overall single codec there is, capable of playing 98% of the video compression formats you'll find online.

As for capturing, not all video sites offer true downloading, as a lot of them are truly streaming the content to you. But for those that do offer some downloadable form of the content, you can always grab the file from the Internet cache your browser is using. With IE7, it's a hidden system folder so you end up changing Explorer's properties so you can see it, then you'd change the view to Details, sort by file size (as most videos are much larger than the simple HTML or image files, and locate the file that way - or by the URL of the website it came from, too).

I've been using www.keepvid.com since it first went online, never had issues with it for the majority of sites it covers, the rest I either snag from my IE cache, or they're streaming and not something I can realistically "save" in the first place.

Back