how bad is this going to hurt my flow?

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
OK. ok ok. I know Ive always loved the t-lines. but now...I have seen the aqua computers silver metal res

http://snt-systems.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=97

and, well, i love it (in silver obviously). Of course, its ze german and they use the metric system, which does not match our american system too well. if I use the 12mm barbs (also sold at good ol' SNT), hwo bad is it going to hurt my flow in a 1/2" ID system? 12mm comes out to 0.47 inches which is a pretty big difference from 0.50, but i dont know how much it will REALLY matter.

any help is greatly appreciated. I dont have a girlfriend so I gotta waste my money SOMEWHERE :p

Can you get 13mm barbs? Stretching the tubing over a larger barb is a LOT safer than crunching tubing over a smaller barb. Way less chance of bunching up the tubing and leaving a path for the water to get out.

If you can't get 13mm barbs, check the actual ID of your tubing, so see how loose it's going to be on the 12mm barbs. Maybe use some clear silicone around the end of the tubing to keep things from trickling out, easy to remove and makes a good low pressure seal.

RickyJ said:
Can you get 13mm barbs? Stretching the tubing over a larger barb is a LOT safer than crunching tubing over a smaller barb. Way less chance of bunching up the tubing and leaving a path for the water to get out.

If you can't get 13mm barbs, check the actual ID of your tubing, so see how loose it's going to be on the 12mm barbs. Maybe use some clear silicone around the end of the tubing to keep things from trickling out, easy to remove and makes a good low pressure seal.
i dont fear leaking, i am teh clamp master :)

i only see 10's and 12's on the site, and im more concerned with a system that has stretched tubing than tight clamps. ive had really bad experiances with trying to stretch tubing over connections before...bad leaky onto video card experiances.

hell theyre only 1.25 each, might as well go for them.

Yeah, 1/2" falls right in the middle of 12mm and 13mm (1" ~ 25.4mm), so the 12mm barbs aren't much smaller. Double clamping should take care of it, but you already knew that. :eek:

Well, since that res doesn't actually come with the barbs on them... I suppose you could buy your own.

I guess you would just have to figure out what size NPT they are or something, and you could get 1/2" ones.

Or am I just on crack and being extra stupid about that?

i bought 12mm with it

by the way, snt-systems.com is now officially my favorite online store. i got an email FROM THE OWNER telling me I needed to go to paypal to accept my 10% discount (since [H] users get that) and asking me what color I wanted, since it apparantly doesnt state it when you buy it (my mistake). then he for no reason upgraded my shipping :) absolutly awesome. if I ever need anything they have I will get it from them without looking anyplace else.

Damn! I took a look at the site, and there's some pretty sweet hardware there. I like!

Have you included a link to this place in your stickied thread on WC questions/vendors/answers/stuff?

Edit: Oh, yeah. No, I don't think that kind of res will hurt your flow overly much.

I work in a lumber yard, and In our spruce plys they are measured in mm. I have an actual fraction to decimal conversion chart here, but at work they are...
9.5mm = 3/8"
12.5mm = 1/2"
15.5mm = 5/8"
19.5mm = 3/4"

In the chart...
9.525mm = 3/8"
12.700mm = 1/2"
15.875mm = 5/8"
19.050mm = 3/4"

Back