House Robbed After Craigslist Hoax

HardOCP News

[H] News
A woman had everything stripped from her home after someone placed a fake ad on Craigslist. Craigslist said they would need a subpoena or search warrant before releasing the culprit’s personal information.

The ad posted last weekend welcomed people to take for free anything they wanted from the home. It has since been pulled from the site, but not before the residence was stripped of light fixtures, the hot water heater and the kitchen sink.

Oh, that's just lovely. Why would anyone take the stuff anyways if no one was there. Unless the person who posted the ad broke in and waited for people.

Gee......you evict a tenant, and then a mysterious craigslist offering comes up to take anything from the house, for free.......

I'm not Columbo but I think that guy would be the first place to look......."we don't need no stinking badges":eek:

Gee......you evict a tenant, and then a mysterious craigslist offering comes up to take anything from the house, for free.......

I'm not Columbo but I think that guy would be the first place to look......."we don't need no stinking badges":eek:

I was thinking the same thing, lol :p

This is not the first time someone has Harrassed(?) someone by advertising a "Irish Yardsale" at their address. But this is the first time i have seen stuff other than what was lyeing around outside get taken.

Use your head idiots, even if it is legit, you cant take stuff from a house without the owner being there. Call the police.:mad:

As true as that is, a subpoena to Craigslist should prove it. Proof is required for criminal charges.

It's amazing how some people can be such !@#wipes, though. Move into a rental property, believe you can behave however you want, because the property "isn't yours", or that you can use the property however you want, once again, because it "isn't yours". And then when you're evicted for violating terms (and it's truly tough for a landlord to evict a tenant in most states, it takes three months here, so if it sticks, it's likely there was a real reason), get angry and attempt to "get even" for something that was your fault in the first place. Sounds about like those that put sugar in the gas tank of the car they see the repo-man coming for when they couldn't make payments. So very mature.

I was a renter twice before becoming a homeowner. I wasn't the neatest tenant in the world, but I never trashed anybody's place either, and I never had a problem getting my security deposit back, either. I knew what rights I had, but I also knew how to be fair to my landlord too. I find it amazing how some people just don't get it, or don't care.

I saw this on MSNBC. The house was indeed bone dry of furniture and appliances. Nothing left but the walls.

As true as that is, a subpoena to Craigslist should prove it. Proof is required for criminal charges.

1. You need to subpoena Craigslist for the posters IP.
  2. You then need to subpoena the ISP for the address the IP was assigned to at the time in question.
  3. Get a warrant for the computers and networking equipment at that location. (if it is a home)
  4. Pray to god that the suspect did not use a open WiFi connection.

Easy for you or I to follow, but this is a time consuming and difficult task for our boys in blue.

Hahaha. I'm sorry but that is funny. A bunch of idiots unknowingly robbed a house. Could the prankster even be charged with anything though? It's not his/her fault the retards didn't confirm permission before or when they got to the house. After all, ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law (that's what I was told anyways :rolleyes: )

Hahaha. I'm sorry but that is funny. A bunch of idiots unknowingly robbed a house. Could the prankster even be charged with anything though? It's not his/her fault the retards didn't confirm permission before or when they got to the house. After all, ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law (that's what I was told anyways :rolleyes: )

What I like is how a local cop seen the ad and thought it was questionable, however didn't himself or have other on duty cops keep an closer than normal eye on the house during the time that this stuff was suppose to be up for grabs. Given the ammount of time it would take for one to completely remove the windows, doors, water heater, sink, and all that stuff like that one would think that a cop going by even once every hour or two should have seen this and would have been able to question the people at the house as to what they were doing. Then you have the neighbors who said they seen people leaving all day carrying stuff from the house yet none of them found it odd and called the police.

I find it hard to believe that anybody would have honestly thought this was real, the fact that the stuff hasn't been brought back pretty much shows that. With this being on the news and such would assume that atleast a few of those that took stuff at the very least would have seen this.

Not only should the poster of the ad be charged, I think all that took stuff should be charged also for the above reason.

And Kyle would promptly run you over with his H2. I'll make sure there's an ad on Craig's List for you. :D

This reminds me of a radio call-in. Someone posted an ad that if you want to recycle your Christmas tree, drop it off at such and such house. Well, people think "recycling is good" and needless to say somebody got a lot of old trees in their yard.

Back