Horrifying Google toolbar

Ravenrex

[H]ard|Gawd
I installed and use the google toolbar to block popups in IE and thought that by running it with advanced features disabled it would be limited in what it can do and how it can interact back to google. Imagine my suprise when today it changed its appearance to have some fruity heart theme for Valentines Day. I'd like to know if there is some way to block this functionality because I dont like and dont trust software that can go and update itself unless I specify that it can or manually initiate the update myself. I know it's freeware, but it gives me an uneasy feeling that it can go and do this all by itself.

Please dont post any suggestions that if I dont like it uninstall it. I don't believe that currently google has any sinister plans embedded in the code, but I don't like the lack of control of software on my machine.

i dont use google toolbar, but i saw that and was wondering that being posted, and was wondering the same thing... really makes me wonder.

anyways, i have google toolbar 1.0 or 1.1 or whatever it is on this computer, and i've had it open for about an hour now and it hasn't changed to that vday crap..

I heard the problem mentioned elsewhere and so far I have seen no one say how to stop it.

See if anything in here helps.
http://toolbar.google.com/faq.html#add

I have also seen people post that some get this and some don't. They are using different versions.

This is in the privacy policy:

Periodically, the Google Toolbar contacts our servers to see if you are running the most current version. If necessary, we will automatically provide you with the latest update to the Google Toolbar.

http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

From what I can see, it's saying this will always happen, even with advanced features disabled.

id=174

I love my google toolbar. Hasn't turned into any hearts or changed in appearance any way in all the time I've had it.

AAAHHH! Too fruity! Actually made me shudder when I saw it. I dont like changes that I didn't make.

waldog-nasty.jpg

Send them some feedback! They ask for feedback, so I gave it to them. Nice though - just asking for an option to enable or disable the graphics.

[email protected]

Haha, that is pretty bad. What version of the toolbar are you running? I've got 2.0.102 on all my machines and none of them became heart-ized.

google pop up blocker is the best software out there right now. It has never allowed a popup to come on the screen.

13,978 blocked so far

I perfer the google deskbar however it doesnt block popups, the Customized Searches (under options) is impressive

the Aggregate usage statistics are optional

Google Deskbar Privacy Policy

Google respects and protects the privacy of individuals that use Google's services, including the Google Deskbar. That is why we want you to know about the Google Deskbar "Feedback Statistics" feature, which causes some Google Deskbar usage information to be sent to Google (as described below), and how you can disable that feature if you would prefer
More>
Periodically, Google Deskbar contacts our servers to see if you are running the most current version or to install necessary changes, such as security patches and bug fixes. Otherwise, we will inform you of any new updates to or new versions of the Google Deskbar that are available and let you know how you can access and use them

either you trust a given software supplier or you dont
I dont trust many to auto update (DiamondCS, Eset) but you have to weight the utility value and the companies reputation
I currently trust Google, and I use Deskbar almost continuously
(dictionary \ thesaurus \ calculator \ conversion \ 15 search engines with direct query \ IP tool)
just wish I could load more customized searchs

Originally posted by cuemasterfl
You don't trust NOD32 to auto-update? Any particular reason?

actually that is a list of the three I do trust
TDS-3, NOD32, and the Google Deskbar (I like it and dont really have a choice) :p

everything else can pretty much be blocked at the firewall (WMP for instance)

Originally posted by TSx
Haha, that is pretty bad. What version of the toolbar are you running? I've got 2.0.102 on all my machines and none of them became heart-ized.

Version 2.0.107. I hope it will go away tonight.....

You could always drag the toolbar offscreen, you don't search but you get pop-up control.

Wow thats pretty weird becasue mine has changed on either one of my machines.

Originally posted by YoUnAn
Wow thats pretty weird becasue mine has changed on either one of my machines.

Wow, that's about the most confusing sentence I've seen in a while. Can we try putting that in come sort of context?

THANK YOU - midnight came, and it is gone. It's pretty bad when your WIFE even laughs about the cutesy little hearts on the supposedly [H] rig.

Originally posted by waldog
THANK YOU - midnight came, and it is gone. It's pretty bad when your WIFE even laughs about the cutesy little hearts on the supposedly [H] rig.

provide then with some feedback
ask that its skinnable (with a google ID of course)

Well, I did give them some feedback, asking for an option to enable or disable custom seasonal graphics. I received the following reply from Google:

Thank you for your note and kind words. At Google, we enjoy celebrating holidays with custom logos on our homepage and now on the Google Toolbar. You may have noticed special logos on google.com for such occasions as Earth Day and Halloween. We've decided Toolbar users deserve their own versions, so we added some special graphics for Valentine's Day.

Please be assured that there is nothing wrong with your Google Toolbar and the images do not affect the way it works. We displayed these graphics for about 24-48 hours, and your toolbar should have automatically returned to its usual appearance after the holiday passed. At this time, it is not possible to disable the graphics.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your honest feedback.

Regards,
The Google Team

Maybe there's hope for the future....

all i know is that ever since they went gay, it takes an hour to load IE
fucking bastards.

Originally posted by skinlab
all i know is that ever since they went gay, it takes an hour to load IE
fucking bastards.

Don't tell me............your one of those people that opens seven different applications all at once and wonders why nothing opens, and then says your computer is slow? Next thing you know you have eight IE windows open, five photoshops, and no hair left on your head.:p :D

Originally posted by Iconz1
your one of those people that opens seven different applications all at once and wonders why nothing opens, and then says your computer is slow? Next thing you know you have eight IE windows open, five photoshops, and no hair left on your head.:p :D

there is a reason to use duallies and massive RAM :p

Well, I started using google deskbar this past weekend and I like it so far. It's cool for quick searches. Does it use the IE engine?

I have to mess with it more to customize it, but it's cool.

Originally posted by odoe
Does it use the IE engine?

I dont think so, first time use, I was prompted by Kerio to allow a connection and its running as an ap in the firewall monitor

and Im able to make the window return enlarge to either IE or Firefox by changing which is the default browser

Don't tell me............your one of those people that opens seven different applications all at once and wonders why nothing opens, and then says your computer is slow? Next thing you know you have eight IE windows open, five photoshops, and no hair left on your head.:p :D

you couldnt be more off
just IE

shut ur trap before u start making dumb assumptions, emphasis on ass.

also, on the other system (p3 1ghz, 256ram) ie still opens up pretty quick
i did an uninstall here, reinstall, nada.

so i dunno, something must be fubared.

edit: problem fixed. uninstall, registry clean, restart, reinstall. guess the registry clean mustve fixed it, meh.

Originally posted by skinlab
yeh, umm, sorry about that

No prob....

In that case we'll overlook this little incident :D
but its always advisable to "slip-up" far far away from the mods
as opposed to directly following the posts of not one but two of them :p

if you knew the history of the forum, youd understand why the flaming enforcement is so strict ;)

grrr

Wonder if with Easter the toolbar will have a bunch of colored eggs.

I'm still curious as to why my toolbar didn't change, on any of my computers.

Read the posts, you had a different version.

Originally posted by waldog
Originally posted by TSx
Version 2.0.107. I hope it will go away tonight.....

Back