Home Networking / VLAns / VPN

elleana

2[H]4U
Hello,

Have a question on home networking setup that I need help with. I'm trying to create two separate networks (not sure if that is the correct terminology but bear with me here) at home - one for regular use - all my computers, network shares etc will be on here, and one for VPN specific applications.

What I mean by VPN applications is, I have an Apple TV as well as a PS3 + PS4 (and am also thinking about getting Sonos to work with Pandora) - lets call them entertainment devices - that I would like to be on a VPN connection to a US IP address (am outside the US) so my various devices think they are located in the US, so Netflix, Pandora etc work properly.

Currently how things are setup is all the entertainment devices are on a dd-wrt router with an always on VPN connection (static IP, also acts as a DHCP server for my entertainment devices) which then connects to my main router (Airport Extreme) through its WAN port. All my other computers connect to the Airport Extreme as well, and the Airport Extreme is connected to my cable modem.

The problem with this setup is that my entertainment devices cannot see the rest of my network, including my network share, so my iTunes library and photos and all other local media can't be accessed from my entertainment devices.

My main question is, how do I set things up so that I can access my media from the entertainment devices? I know that one option is to use the dd-wrt router as the main router but I would rather not do that. Is it just a question of configuring certain settings, or do I need more specific equipment?

As a somewhat of an addendum, one option I have considered is a local ISP which has a specific service enabling Netflix, Pandora etc without special settings (I understand they have specially configured DNS servers to direct traffic). But I would still want to stay with my current ISP, so would a dual WAN router (I understand Zyxel ones are pretty good for the price) work for this? Two WAN ports for two ISPs, and with instructions to route traffic from certain devices to a specific WAN port?

Apologies for the somewhat long winded post but I am strictly an amateur when it comes to these things (no formal training, don't even know the correct terminology!) so am having difficulty describing the setup and my requirements.

I use DNS instead of a VPN to get US content. I then have a NAT rule saying anything outbound on port 53 from the IPs of my Rokus, redirect to UnblockUS DNS. Works great. Keeps them on the same network and keeps all other DNS traffic going to my ISP still.

Just be warned /usr/home if you use US based DNS servers the NSA is logging everything you do. Just a fact.

/me sets mode +tinfoilhat
If a DNS "hack" works its most likely better and more reliable than a VPN.
//Danne

This is interesting. I had never considered a DNS based solution before but it looks like my provider (StrongVPN) also has a DNS solution (no prizes on guessing the name) - StrongDNS. Will go check them out.

Would it be possible to configure a router such that specific traffic only be routed to a particular DNS server?

Just be warned /usr/home if you use US based DNS servers the NSA is logging everything you do. Just a fact.

I'm in Canada and it's not so much I'm concerned about privacy but in reply times and reliability. Why have my DNS lookups take 15 hops when they can take two. My ISP is much more reliable as well. I also have BIND on my router and some hosts use it instead (in recursive mode pointed to my ISP)

If I was that concerned about privacy if just stay off the internet.

Oh no the nsa might learn i have been watching trailer park boys again.....

Back