Home network with bluetooth?

Alvein

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Is it possible to make a home network (just two PC's) with those cheap USB-Bluetooth adapters? I know I cannot get good transfer speeds with that, but I just want to share a internet connection, which is not much fast, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Bluetooth is quit a bit slower than a basic broadband connection. I sometimes use bluetooth between my laptop and Treo 700w for access to Verizon's EVDO (~900kbps) network, but even though Bluetooth is advertised at ~700kbps I have never seen that kind of speed making a USB connection a better choice as it's always faster.

But, if you still want to go that route then what you are looking for is called a PAN (personal Area Network) and you should be able to pull it off...

I would go with 2 802.11b adapters instead, those are cheap. Make an adhoc network, which will probably be faster than the bluetooth.

Deadpool9 said:
I would go with 2 802.11b adapters instead, those are cheap. Make an adhoc network, which will probably be faster than the bluetooth.

I agree. How far apart are these PC's from each other?

Deadpool9 said:
it'll be faster almost certainly.

No, they are not cheap. For this case, not. Or anyways, here, they are not cheap.

A 2nd reason is that the 2nd PC was recently bought and the chasis cannot be opened because of the warranty. So I need something that can connect to the USB port. Yeah yeah, again 802.11, but no, not cheap.

Let's see my question this way: if I buy two USB/Bluetooth adapters, could I configure a home network a similar way as with two usual network cards, or should I install some special applications or do some tweaks? If yes, is there a doc out there? I've not found anything about it. :(

The PC's are 6m (straight through two walls.) away.

Maybe you should qualify your definition of "cheap" (give us a budget), because people are just trying to give you a better option since Bluetooth is obviously not the best way to go. Also, 802.11b adapters come in USB so cracking the case is not an issue.

For example, here is an 802.11b/g USB adapter for $39.99 which is cheap in my book...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127151

Side note, do PC vendors really try to void warranty's if you open the case? I have been messing with PC's since I got my first 286 back in the 80's and have yet to see a warranty get voided for simply opening the case and installing a PCI card...

hi again,

I used a BT lan for a while to share a single network connection between a couple of laptops. It was not fast, but it wasn't aweful either. You are likely going to get ~500Kbit/s.

The problem with BT is that I absolutely despise the drivers. Even if you spend ages getting them "associated, linke and connected" it may still decide that tomorrow it's not going to work anymore. In addition i feel that most BT drivers are major bloatware.

From my perspective, WLAN is certainly a better choice.

Having said that: Yes, you can use BT to create a LAN connection which will show up under "Network Neighborhood" and it can be used to share an internet connection as well.

Widcomm is the devil!

drizzt81 said:
hi again,

The problem with BT is that I absolutely despise the drivers. Even if you spend ages getting them "associated, linke and connected" it may still decide that tomorrow it's not going to work anymore. In addition i feel that most BT drivers are major bloatware.

Just excuse me if I've sounded too arrogant. This is not a budget question. I only asked (re-asked in fact) something like "can I do this with that?". Whose answer can be just Yes or No, or in the best case "Yes/Not. Look <here>". If I used the word "cheap" was only to describe such small adapters.

I see it's possible now. :)

Back