Home E-Mail Server

R

ring.of.steel

is it possible to setup a mail server on windows 2003?

so i can use say [email protected]

(i had allready registerd the domain [mydomain.com] to my ip)

how wouldi do this and what type of mail server would it be?

cheers

Assuming you have a dynamic IP at home you would need to setup some kind of dynamic DNS. (changeip.com, dyndns.com) You can set your mx record there. I would guess since the mail is coming from an unusually mx record it will be tossed in as spam though. I had that problem with Charter.

If you go this route you will want a script to keep the dyndns company of choice updated so that when your ip changes you still get your mail.

Another option is to use something like google apps but then again that would defeat the purpose of doing it at home.

i have wanted to make my own too. Dont isp frown on this by blocking ports?

What are some good apps to use?

i have allready got a dyn dns service with dyndns. i have a .ath.cx domain. do i still need some kind of script?

cheers

There are a LOT of free e-mail servers out there ...Google can lead the way.

You can make it work..but a few things to consider....
*Does your ISP block mail traffic except to their servers? Or if they don't..do they monitor it? So if you reach a higher rate of mail traffic...you pop onto their radar.
*Dynamic IP? Even with a static IP...you'll have issues sending to those people whos mail server do a RevDNS lookup to see that your server is legit. It's a growing technique that will happen more and more frequently..due to the battle against spam.

my isp doesnt block any ports or anything, this is not a problem. i cannot get a static ip from them.

i run mine on freebsd. pretty easy to setup if you kno what you want, along with the handbook, and a guide or two freely available online

For a Windows environment, I've had good experience with both SmarterMail (as someone mentioned previously) and MailEnable. Both have free versions.

Back