Hmm, potential softwere problem...

duncandun

Limp Gawd
Hey, so... hmm, I'm a gamer. And right now, i'm having some problems... oddly enough, it seems they only affect online games.

For instance, I can play Oblivion for hours on end with no problems. But when i go to play WoW, or AC, I might be able to play for... 5 minuites, or 2 hours, but my comp always freezes up. First the game freezes, then sound, then finally my mouse and keyboard freeze. At which point, I can only restart.

Anyone have any ideas? I have Nforce4 AMD drivers, a ASUS a8n motherboard, AMD 64bit 4000+ processor, XFX 7800GT, 2gb OCZ pc3200 ram. Also using the newest Nvidia drivers.

If it's anything, I installed my nforce drivers befor i updated ot sp1 or 2... it was within an hour of each other though.

eh, if anyone has any ideas... let me know, i'm all ears.

No overclocking?

Try uninstalling your drivers with Driver Cleaner, then reinstalling.
Can your computer run Prime95 overnight without any errors?

I haven't tryed prime95 yet, I'll try driver cleaner. Do you think i should get rid of everything or just the nforce driers?

Anybody know where to look for a problem like this? I am having it myself. I can play BF2 in single player and CSS in a server of my own, but when I go online the program freezes up in 5-10 seconds. Once BF2 did drop me to the desktop though.

Your power supply is crap, ram is crap/bad, or your cpu and/or video card is running too hot. And as of recently helping with a friend it helped prove a theory of mine. When hooking up your video card with the power supply cable. Do NOT Y off of ANYTHING else! He kept getting crashes just getting into games, etc. So for haha's i 1st had him try the same drivers i had and same thing. Then i had him run a power wire STRAIGHT from the power supply and bam no more crashes! :p

PS: I said "theory" because i never Y'ed off of anything else but wasn't 100% sure if it was needed but pretty sure! :p

Back