HL2 specs

RP_JAKE454

Limp Gawd
Im just wondering if anyone knows any preffered processor speeds or graphics cards for HL2. i currently have a sapphire 9600xt and an amd athlon xp 1700+ (which i am hoping to upgrade.. check out my thread in the mobo forum) yup so thats it..what do u guys think?

In a surprising twist, Valve just announced that Half Life 2 will require the new IBM Power5 processors just to boot. Start saving your money, folks.

All joking aside, we don't have a clue. If you're so worried about Half Life 2 specs, don't buy anything until the game comes out and we get a taste of how it performs on various systems.

Anyways, in a recent issue of Maximum PC in which they previewed big games of 2004, the listed Half Life 2 with recommended specs of:

- Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz / Athlon FX-51 or equivalent I think (might have been Doom 3)
- Radeon 9700 Pro or better / nVidia 6800
- 1 Gig of RAM

granted those are recommended specs and not the minimums thats still sorta outrageous to require a FX anything or P4 above 2.6 for a game to run smoothly with some nice eye candy. i may be totally off the ball here but last i checked Gabe was all about making some hella cash with this new engine...and recommending specs like that is sorta insane...the video card is actually acceptable as i would expect most gamers, even ones that arent quite as hardcore as us to have a ~9700 card by now. im just gonna take a stab here and say that a AthlonXP 2200 or above with a 9700 would prolly have a very enjoyable experience in HL2...just my opinion tho

I have that Mag, and it said that those are the recommended specs to run at max detail and resolution...

o i c

well that being said that makes it a _tad_ more acceptable but still kinda "up there" if ya know what i mean?

Yeah, perhaps I should have mentioned that they were for maximum detail at high resolutions.

It's not quite so bad compared to Doom 3, which was something like:

P4 3.0 / FX-51 or equivalent
2 Gigs of RAM
And nVidia 6800 or Radeon R420 I think.

I doubt Maximum PC has any more information about those games than you or me can get off the web. They are likely educated assumptions. Maximum PC does that alot, but they make sure to let you know. Notice that when you read the next-gen games article it says that beside each game is the specs that maximum pc thinks will be needed to run the game at it's highest settings.

The requirements should be similar to Far Cry, just upgrade when you feel you are getting behind the curve with the best components that fit your budget and don't worry about specific specs of unreleased games.

Just make sure you don't get a GeForce FX.

Back