Hitachi Deskstar

MIchaelM

Weaksauce
I've read some amazing review for the Hitachi Deskstar 7k250 drive, specifically the SATA version (see www.storagereview.com).

I've also seen ads at frys for the Hitachi Deskstar PATA drives with some great rebates, but nowhere do I see the 7K250 in the name. Are these the same drives? (but the PATA version)?

Check the model number in the search function over at www.hgst.com

There are still quite a few 120 and 180 GXP's floating around, so it's best to make sure, since the 7K250 easily outclasses them both.

Yeah that review is amazing. I'm going to pick up 2 of the SATA drives from Newegg tomorrow. If I find anything interesting, I will post. However, I don't think the PATA and SATA drive are the same.

i just hope that the hitachi drives aren't as unreliable as when IBM was making them.

There are two PATA versions, one with 2MB cache and one with 8MB:

2MB PATA: HDS7225**VLAT20
8MB PATA: HDS7225**VLAT80

The stars denote the capacity:

40=40GB
80=80GB
12=120GB
25=250GB

The SATA version has LSA instead of LAT in the model number and only come in 8MB flavors.

Since they are all native PATA, I doubt there would be a huge performance difference, except for in burst speeds if you are using an ATA-100 interface.

yea, these drives kick much ass... I've had the 80 Gb since October, and I have no complaints... It's almost as fast (sometimes faster) than the 1st gen Raptor, but it's VERY quiet... I hardly ever hear it... And you can't go wrong, since it's pretty much $1 a Gig... think, I paid 92 for it from googlegear... err.. zipzoomfly rather.. :D

Back