Highpoint 1540 RAID card only sees 2 drives...

Mars10

n00b
Hey everyone, I just recently purchased a highpoint 1540 raid card and 3 250GB WD HD's. I cant seem to get the card to detect more that 2 drives. If i unplug one of the drives that the card sees it can then see the other HD. I updated the driver, but im not sure on how to upgrade the BIOS. If anyone can make sense of this post please help me :)

Im going to try and update the BIOS, but i dont see anything in the change log that will affect anything

BIOS related questions

Question:
The card's BIOS does not detect the hard drive(s) or RAID array(s) attached to the host adapter card.
What can I do to correct this problem?

Answer:
Make sure the power and IDE cables are securely attached to the hard disks, and the host adapter card.
Check the drive(s) jumper settings, and make sure they correspond with the drive's configuration.

If drives are configured as master/slave (sharing a single cable), try setting each drive to cable-select.

If only one drive is attached to an IDE cable, set the drive to master. Some drives may require a single-master setting (or master with no slave present).
Check the drive documentation or contact the manufacturer for more information.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/frr1540.htm

did they supply cables?

Yes they supplied 4 sata cables. I bought 3 SATA drives, and the jumper settings dont make a diffrence (or so the Western Digital site said)

EDIT: i also dont understand what to put on a floppy from that download

correct, the jumpers are for power options (eventually)
forgot it was SATA (and that is in their 1540 FAQ :p )

try switching the cables and see if the drives recognized changes
download the manufacturers dignostic and see if one of the drives fails
(on a normal port or employing the card as just an SATA controller)

changing cables did not work, i also tried the spare one

EDIT: they dont have a diagnostic tool that i can see
EDIT2: I also tried changing PCI slots, no go
EDIT3: Still not sure how to change the BIOS =P

WD Data LifeGuard Tools

so by switching around the cables and HDDs and ports, your not coming across a pattern that one port, drive or cable is bad

that leaves the card itself, (as far as Im aware)
and its time to contact them directly for support

to flash the BIOS its like a normal BIOS flash, only you use their utility
(see link) download that and the BIOS version, extract them to a floppy restart then boot to the floppy

Back