Higher Quality DV to PC??

EnforcerGT

Bad Trader
Ive been tryin to figure out a way to capture from my Sony TRV22 to my PC at a higher quality then it currently is. I connect it via USB rather than firewire which is basically the same to some extent, and its been working well. It is currently at 720x480 at best and it still looks a tad distorted. The preview is at 360x240 and looks ok nothing compared to pluging in my miniDV to the TV directly.

I know that the monitor is progressive scan while the TV is interlaced video at a much lower resolution, but I know there are ways to capture almost DVD quality to PC.

I just bought a P4 3.0ghz HT Chip so Im low on the funds.

Besides buying expensive equipment, anything else I can do? I have a couple bux laying around for this project. Any advice/help/commments all appreciated. Thx in advance.

Welcome to the world of Digital Video !!!

Step one... USE FIREWIRE !!!

Your motherboard should have a 1394/Firewire plug. Check and see.

USB is used for transfering still images, and USB streaming to use your camcorder as a webcam. Do NOT use it to transfer DV. It's not designed to do that. USB and Firewire are NOT basically the same...

Also, what video software are you using? I use Pinnacle Studio and I have created dozens of DVDs and movies. I love it! I also have acquired copies of Adobe Premiere and Vegas Video... but haven't used them yet.

To review... Use Firewire to transfer DV into your computer. Check to see if your motherboard already has Firewire.

USB is not the same as firewire, unless your using USB 2.0, your tranfers are going to go bloody slow if your using it.

finally some replies :D. Im using USB 2.0 and its very fast and responsive. The playback from my DV to PC is instant and live. I just cant seem to get a better resolution capture. Im using Vegas Video. Will pinnacle allow me to get a better resolution capture?

720x480 is DVD resolution. All NTSC DVDs have that resolution then the player scales it to the proper aspect ratio (a flag is set when the DVD is mastered). So you capture/transfer, edit, then burn to DVD and pop it in your set top dvd player and enjoy. The quality should be close to the quality you see when you hook up your cam directly to the TV.

Please try Firewire!

MiniDV camcorders, since the beginning, have had Firewire. That is the preferred way to put video into the computer. Pick up a copy of Videographer magazine, and look through the ads. Every digital video device uses Firewire.

Even though USB 2.0 is new, fast and it sorta works... it's was never designed to replace 1394/Firewire to input video.

Read any chapter on capturing video in any software manual and it will say, "connect your DV camcoder to a 1394/Firewire port..." :)

I bet no software package will get good results from USB capture. You're only gonna get good resolution/quality with Firewire. Period.

Side note... I have used USB to captue video on my aunt's computer which did not have a Firewire port... I experienced the same problem you are having. The video looked terrible. I told her to buy a $30 Firewire card. :)

Back