High Speed Proxy Service?

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Looks like TWC is doing some traffic shaping on my connection whenever i am connected to Usenet.

I have been able to circumvent this by VPN tunnel to my friends house and the speeds instantly increase. Problem is that is not really a feasible solution, was just to test a theory.

Are there any premium proxy services out there that can provide 15Mbit/s bandwith?

I'm personally using strongvpn with decent results. I've been able to get 20+Mbit (up, lmao) when my uni was tweaking their limiter.

1507386358.png

Craig

Yea here lies the issue. When I am downloading from any usenet service.

Here it is when i press pause on the usenet.

wait, so your entire connection is throttled and not just the usenet connection?

Craig

Seriously??

Of the course Speedtest is going to report slower numbers when you are actually using the internet vs when you aren't. There is only some much available capacity on the link. Likely when you were VPNing the usenet feed through your friend the tunnel capacity was much less and thus your speedtest rating went up. Were you running the speedtest from the same machine running the usenet client as well?

Seriously??

Of the course Speedtest is going to report slower numbers when you are actually using the internet vs when you aren't. There is only some much available capacity on the link. Likely when you were VPNing the usenet feed through your friend the tunnel capacity was much less and thus your speedtest rating went up. Were you running the speedtest from the same machine running the usenet client as well?

I didnt run the speedtest w/ VPN. And I understand there is only so much BW, but when the usenet client is running I am only getting 1.2MB/s download w/ Astraweb and/or giganews.

Is it happening even if you use SSL encryption with giganews?

Yea here lies the issue. When I am downloading from any usenet service.

Here it is when i press pause on the usenet.

Try limiting your usenet download to 256kb/sec and run your test again. Whay prog are you using for newsgroup access? Big Newsleecher fan here.

Is it happening even if you use SSL encryption with giganews?

I am using SSL for all connections.I think they are throttling my connection based on destination.

I didnt run the speedtest w/ VPN. And I understand there is only so much BW, but when the usenet client is running I am only getting 1.2MB/s download w/ Astraweb and/or giganews.

1.2MB is maxing out a 10Mbit line. I have TWC with their 10/1 plan, and my usenet through either of my providers maxes at 1.2MB.

Don't go by your speed on a speedtest. First, TWC has their speedburst bullshit that lets you get the first like 10 or 100MB 2-3 times faster. After that the line drops down to your subscription max. So that makes your line look faster on a speedtest. Second, I heard ISPs like to cache the speed test sites so your results show faster as well.

So unless you are paying for a larger pipe, I don't think you have anything to complain about. If you have the more expensive plan, then you should drop it down, since obviously you aren't getting those speeds. I am going to be upgrading to the TWC 30/5 plan in a week or 2 to see if my usenet speeds go up. If not I'll just go back to the 10/1 plan and save the money.

OK good points, i didnt think about all that.

Does your latency go through the roof when your line is maxed out?

OK good points, i didnt think about all that.

Does your latency go through the roof when your line is maxed out?

Absolutely. That's what you're seeing. It seems more like a LACK of shaping on your end, rather than hard shaping on their end.

Wow ok, that did not even cross my mind. I just assumed it was them because i dont have this issue when using P2P.

Ill look into setting up QoS on my ASA tonight.

That's why I throttle usenet during the day. It can easily saturate whatever connection you have, so everything else will run like crap. During the day it creeps along at 600KB/s and from 12-7am its on full blast.

*edit. Setting up a scheduled throttle is very easy if you are using sabnzb. If you aren't you should look into it.

Back