high flow pump - possible?

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
i was at a hardware store looking for stuff for my science fair project, and i saw a 1/2hp sump pump on the shelf (for $127) i looked at the back of the box, and saw a chart quoting flow rates at various heads. according to the chart, the 3/4hp pump can push 4000gph at 5ft head, and the 1/2hp is just a bit below that. the only problem i saw with them was the 5/4" ID tubing you would need to run if you couldn't find reducers. has anyone tried this? (if not, remember you heard it here first)

with a flow rate that high, i think you might run into psi problems... not too sure tho

the actual flow you'd get with the pump would be lessened by the reducers, but it'd still be fun to try.

Sump pumps are generally not meant to run constantly, so I don't know if the motor would hold up for too long.

Sump pumps are not really designed to run continously I don't think. If you run smaller tubing, your friction losses will be BIG, you won't get anywhere near the max flow, plus the pump will not be anywhere near it's maximum efficiency, which will cause it to heat up and burn out.

If you're really interested in using this pump, I would talk to the manufactuer and see if you can get some info on 24/7 run times, and efficiency curves for the pump. Then you can design your system for it, and have a very good (but loud) watercooling system. :D

Its only got a 5 foot head.

With a low head pressure and reducers down to 1/2" you probably wont pump much more than an Ehiem.

If your going to go OTT on a pump you want one with a high head pressure not GPH.

Plus what is the wattage of the pump.
Remember that most of the work done by a pump ends up as heat in the water.
So with to big a pump even if it gives you better flow rates for more cooling in the water block, The added heat from the pump will raise the water temps more.

Luck........:D

it has more than 5ft of head, it just pumps 4000gph at 5ft of head. it had other heights on the box, and of course i don't remember them.

i think it said that at 20ft it got 2000gph or something like that. it wasn't bad.

since they probably aren't designed for 24/7 running, IF i tried this (probably won't for a while anyways) i'd try to find a junkyard or thereabouts one (used & cheap but working well)

thanks for the responses. let us know if anyone tries this tho. (i know i would)

Back