Hiding wireless from college?

evoluti0n

Weaksauce
I just moved back to school and brought my wireless router for when the net goes down and to add another access point.

Unfortunately they will take my net down if they detect or find that I have wireless going. I go to school in the middle of Boston which is why I think they care so much (Probably don't want anyone sucking their bandwidth.)

So is there anyway I can hid the wireless? I heard I could clone the MAC address, but I don't know if this will do it. I heard also that I could make it look like a computer or Xbox via the MAC address.

Link sys WRT54G V8 is the model of my router which might help.

-thx

Cloning the MAC address will hide it on the network side, but if they're looking for rogue APs, then no, there isn't any way to hide it.

Follow the rules, you will get caught no matter what if they have any brains what so ever.

thx, I probably wont really use it until the time comes.

The schools "IT" department is awful, they have more problems to worry about than us running our own private encrypted networks. :)

The schools "IT" department is awful, they have more problems to worry about than us running our own private encrypted networks. :)

It's students abusing the network policy that causes 99 and 44/100 percent of the issues they have.

They have software that will find it...

Back