Hide shares in Server 2003

ne0-reloaded

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know of a way to hide shares from users in Server 2003 (ADS). With NDS if you don't have access to a share, it's not even visible. With ADS it's not. Someone told me that there was a tool in Sp1a for Server03, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks

ne0-reloaded said:
Does anyone know of a way to hide shares from users in Server 2003 (ADS). With NDS if you don't have access to a share, it's not even visible. With ADS it's not. Someone told me that there was a tool in Sp1a for Server03, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks

The only way to hide a share is to place a $ after the share name. However MS has released an addon to 2003 SP1 called "Access based Enumeration" that mimics the features of NDS to a certain point.

ABE does not hide the share itself, but rather any subfolders under the share based on whether the user has permission to those folders. Essentially, you'll need to consolidate all folders underneath a couple shares and use ABE for the desired effect.

Novell's File services are vastly supior to micorosofts. I would use netware for a file server and thats it.

Which is why Microsoft's monstrosity of a COPY of netware directory service is a fscking pain in the ass to use...its too bad Novell lost that battle of the network operating systems. I'm now working on a Windows network as opposed to OSX and Novell. What a bear's butt! :p

ne0-reloaded said:
thanks i appreciate it. have you tried it out yet? also does it work at all with dfs

Yes I have it implemented and so far it works quite well, however it does not work with DFS AFAIK.

Back