Help with traffic meters

jrel209

Weaksauce
Router is a WNDR3700

It has a built in traffic meter, but I was wondering if there was a way to filter it per mac-id. For some reason this month our internet usage went from an avg 100gigs to 265gigs. So I need to find out what device is the culprit to fix this issue.

We have two computers that game and stream light-weight movies (one-piece anime). My brother's comp downloads music, but that never seemed to be an issue. The only new device that has been getting love this month has been the NETFLIX on a Blu-Ray dvd. But before I put a stop to it, which will make the kids angry lol, I want to make sure that is why we went over.

Any suggestions from anyone?

there isnt a way to do bandwidth metering per MAC ID on that router that i know of. if you are running a 3rd party firmware like DDWRT or tomato on it, there may be a plugin or module that you can load, but you may have to write a custom script to specificly do what you want.

if you had a real firewall like pfsense or something, you could easily set it up to do this.

what you can do is look at your usage before and after you watch a netflix movie and calculate how much it used. then multiply that by how many movies you watch a month, and you will get a total for how much of that 265gigs is netflix.

FWIW, in my house which has half a dozen heavy internet and netflix users, we use about 150 gigs a month for netflix and streaming services like youtube (not including regular downloads and web surfing). netflix can certainly add up, and i wouldnt be suprised if that is where your extra 150 gigs came from.

Is there a site I can research to learn more about those thirdparty firmwares other than just googling? DDWRT or Tomato or w/e? Also, are they even compatible w/ the router I have?

Back