Help with shuttle sn45g

jukie888

n00b
Hi all, this is my first time posting, so please bear with the newbieness. I'm planning to use the shuttle sn45g for my first SFF and I wanted to use a AIW ATI 9600xt in it. Can anyone tell me whether there might be issues with cooling or even getting it to fit in there? Are there any issues which I might not be aware of with that kind of situation? Thanx.

It should be fine.

The only card people have probems with is the AIW9800, and that's not because it doesn't fit, but because the 200W PSU is not enough.

That said be sure you know one thing about the 9600XT AIW -- it has no DVI. That makes it a deal-breaker in my book, but some people can live with it.

I have a 9800Pro and that generates more heat than the 9600AIW and it works OK - but I do have the 250W silent-x psu as well.

agentzero9 said:
It should be fine.

The only card people have probems with is the AIW9800, and that's not because it doesn't fit, but because the 200W PSU is not enough.

Not true. The only problems occured because the AIW was drawing too much current on the +5V rail which caused the PSU to auto-shutdown. Wasn't a power issue, just a over-draw issue.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was certain revisions of 9700pro's and aiw 9700 pro's, not the 9800 series... but that aiw 9600xt should be fine

I'm also wondering about the sn45g cpu cooling system. I've read it uses the I.C.E. system, which seems to be the cpu hsf all in one thing. is that right? and if it is will i need to buy thermal paste or is there some kind of epoxy already on it? if i do need to buy a hsf, anyone have any recommendations?

jukie888 said:
I'm also wondering about the sn45g cpu cooling system. I've read it uses the I.C.E. system, which seems to be the cpu hsf all in one thing. is that right? and if it is will i need to buy thermal paste or is there some kind of epoxy already on it? if i do need to buy a hsf, anyone have any recommendations?

The ICE system is a complete cooling system, so no need for your own heatsink. The SN45G does come with some generic thermal paste, but you'll probably get better results using a higher quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver.

do i just use some rubbing alcohol to clean off the stuff that's already on there and then apply some arctic silver?

also now a question on cooling the system overall. i've read recommendations about replacing the case fans. how good are case fans included, if any? noisy? i want pretty much as silent as possible with best airflow. does the sn45g have 92mm fan slots? thanx again everyone.

the@ntipop said:
Not true. The only problems occured because the AIW was drawing too much current on the +5V rail which caused the PSU to auto-shutdown. Wasn't a power issue, just a over-draw issue.

LOL I don't care why the PSU wasn't enough, be it wattage, currents etc.

Fact is the 250W solved the problem for many, that was my point.

jukie888 said:
do i just use some rubbing alcohol to clean off the stuff that's already on there and then apply some arctic silver?

also now a question on cooling the system overall. i've read recommendations about replacing the case fans. how good are case fans included, if any? noisy? i want pretty much as silent as possible with best airflow. does the sn45g have 92mm fan slots? thanx again everyone.

It's 80mm and yes very noisy. You'll need to replace the stock 80mm fan.

what are some good 80mm fans i can put into the case? how many fan slots are there? 1 or 2?

I don't think the stock fan is loud at all. I replaced mine with a Panaflo L1A and it wasn't too much more quiet. I'd wait until you get it to see how it sounds.

the thermal paste comes with it, but isn't applied already.. i put arctic silver 5 on mine right away... the stock fan is loud at full speed, but i run it on "smart fan" mode (in the bios)... most of the time my processor stays under 40 cel. so the fan is quiet, but if it does go over 40 the fan speeds up a little... anyways.. i run it far from full speed so it isn't bad...

you might want to look into an sn41g2v2.. mine was $245 opposed to the $230 sn45g... and it has a better looking case, and 250 watt psu...

btw... what processor are you putting in there? i reccomend a 35 watt mobile... and don't change the v-dimm, it will kill the mobo...

not sure what cpu i'll be using...likely to be a desktop one but considering one of the mobile ones. can't really OC it since i'm not sure if it'll kill the mobo in a SFF, or else i'd get the 2500+ one. plus i looked at newegg and the sn41g2v2 is 160 as opposed to 130 for the sn45g. is it worth the extra 30 bucks?

thanx everyone for their help!!

you won't kill the mobo... i got my sn41g2v2 for $145.. so it was worth the $15 to me for the g2 case... but i also am using integrated video which saved me $$ on a vid card... (this might change soon)... so it my case it was better for me.. also the one i have has a 250watt psu instead of a 200 watt like the sn45g..

you can overclock... get a mobile... even if you don't overclock, it will run much cooler... you can't change the voltage on the memory... but that's it... you can still run any memory at stock voltage and stock speeds.. and just up the multiplier, but only if your cpu is unlocked... that is why you get a mobile.. they are unlocked... just don't touch the memory voltage... if you flash the bios, it takes away the vdimm anyways....

scottatwittenberg said:
you won't kill the mobo... i got my sn41g2v2 for $145.. so it was worth the $15 to me for the g2 case... but i also am using integrated video which saved me $$ on a vid card... (this might change soon)... so it my case it was better for me.. also the one i have has a 250watt psu instead of a 200 watt like the sn45g..

I think you mean 200 watt like the SN41G2.

my sn41g2v2 has a 250... the sn45g2v2 has a 250, but isn't sold in the US...

i don't know where to buy a non v2 sn41g2... but the sn45g on newegg has a 200 watt psu

ok cool.. i know 3 weeks ago when i was ordering my computer they supposedly didn't have them in the us yet... but i wanted a g2 case anyways.... so i got one... is there any advantage to the ultra chipset? i can't remember anymore.. because that and the IGP are the only differences

well the ultra will be good in case i'm using a cpu with 400mhz fsb. i'm still debating on the SFF to buy but i'm sure on at least on the video card, which is what this thread was started for. probably will buy a mobile...2500+ with some possible moderate OCing once i'm sure the comp works and all.

Ultra is not only guaranteed 400mhz, but it will often go much higher. The SN41G2 series usually taps out at 400mhz, and you are lucky if you get that far (even the V2).

Personally I would get the SN45 since it's cheaper (no need to pay for on board video unless you are going to use it), quieter (passive northbridge), and the G1 case.

i ran my sn41g2v2 at 210... but i figured i should do it for a prolonged period of time since i was using the IGP.. so i put it at 166. to be safe..

i've read many things about people modding their sn45g cases in some way to get better aircooling. any suggestions that will keep the case cool and quiet?

Usually replace the fan and cut out the grill at the back first. If that's not enough, you can cut blow holes (60mm will fit on top without interfernng with optical drives). And also, some people like Adda fans in the PSU

Back