Help with daisychained routers

dalfiuss

n00b
I have a netgear wireless router attached to my cable modem, and I have a D-Link wireless router off of the netgear router. (I needed a second router for additional ports and decided to upgrade to a 802.11g router)

What kind of settings do I need to have on the D-Link router in order for it to act like a switch? I am having trouble accessing the computers that are directly connected to the netgear router from those computers connected to the D-Link router.

I know I haven't provided much information, if you need anything else I will do my best to provide it.

Thanks.

I've been told if you just run a cross over between the two (both on regular ports, not WAN) that it will bridge the 2. We had this same issue here at 709.

It's the routers NAT doing what it does.

Several things you'll "just have to live with" if you insist on having a router inside another router.

Each router must be in a different IP scope. Meaning, if the Netgear is 192.168.0.XXX...the DLink cannot also be 192.168.0.XXX, it should be something else, like 192.168.1.XXX, or 10.0.0.XXX, etc.

They'll get internet access fine, although you may find some things won't work well from being "double NAT'd"

Computers behind the DLink can access the computer shares in front of it, but behind the Netgear, via IP address. Example, \\192.168.0.101\stuff

Or, make host files on the computers behind the DLink of computers behind the Netgear.

Computers behind the Netgear will not be able to access computers behind the DLink...because of NAT. You could DMZ one computer and get stuff working...

Uplinking the other like the previous post mentions....you're bypassing the WAN Port and NAT, kind of a band aide approach, will work as long as you disable the DHCP service of the DLink.

...but....to do what you're trying to do, you really should have kept it simple, and gotten just a WAP, not another router. You treat wireless access points like daisy chaining another switch.

er.... not necessarily.

first, turn off the dhcp server on the wireless router, and give it an ip that's different from your wired router, but same subnet: i.e. (192.168.0.1 for wired router; and 192.168.0.10 for wireless router)

connect the wired router as you had it set up before, wan port to the cable modem, and lan ports feeding your lan.

connect one of the lan ports on the wireless router to one of the lan ports on the wired routher with a regular network cable. do not use the wan port on the wireless router. technically, a crossover would work, but just about any new switches/routers are auto-negotiating at can deal with either a crossover or straight through cable. connected pc's directly, however, you will still need a crossover cable.

this is pretty much how i'm set up at home, and i have no issues, all pc's can network fine, share the interweb, etc, etc/

BriguyNJ said:
er.... not necessarily.

first, turn off the dhcp server on the wireless router, and give it an ip that's different from your wired router, but same subnet: i.e. (192.168.0.1 for wired router; and 192.168.0.10 for wireless router)

connect the wired router as you had it set up before, wan port to the cable modem, and lan ports feeding your lan.

connect one of the lan ports on the wireless router to one of the lan ports on the wired routher with a regular network cable. do not use the wan port on the wireless router. technically, a crossover would work, but just about any new switches/routers are auto-negotiating at can deal with either a crossover or straight through cable. connected pc's directly, however, you will still need a crossover cable.

this is pretty much how i'm set up at home, and i have no issues, all pc's can network fine, share the interweb, etc, etc/

Thanks a ton! worked flawlessly!

Back