Help with 7 Ultimate updating.

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
I have been trying to get windows 7 ultimate to update and all it does is sit there searching for ever and never stops searching. There seems to be tons of fixes out there but they don't seem to work. I haven't tried them all. Can some one please help? By the way it is a fresh install.

If you installed Windows 7 SP1 and are going to leave default updating on, just grab a convenience rollup: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

Scroll down to "How to get this convenience rollup" and read the prerequisites. You may need to install the small servicing stack update first.

It's a lot, lot faster just to install the rollup than to wait for WU.

If you installed Windows 7 SP1 and are going to leave default updating on, just grab a convenience rollup: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

Scroll down to "How to get this convenience rollup" and read the prerequisites. You may need to install the small servicing stack update first.

It's a lot, lot faster just to install the rollup than to wait for WU.

Thank you. Been and done that. Nothing worked.

Thank you. Been and done that. Nothing worked.
What do you mean been and done that? If you installed the convenience rollup (and prerequisite if necessary), you'd have the patches installed that fix slow Windows Update speed.

I just reinstalled Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x86 in October on one of my computers and ran the convenience update, and haven't had any problems with WU speed.

I'm not that lucky. The machine I'm on type to you with has had w7 Ulti for about 2 years no problem. But the little mach I just built 3 days ago has had problems updating.

I think using KB3172605 alone will do it - I was having this same problem at work - trying to update multiple machines...I'm off today so I don't have the exact KB## with me. You can use the: net stop "windows update" command (run cmd prompt as admin) then load it manually

or take a look here - might help

Good Luck!

I think using KB3172605 alone will do it - I was having this same problem at work - trying to update multiple machines...I'm off today so I don't have the exact KB## with me. You can use the: net stop "windows update" command (run cmd prompt as admin) then load it manually

Good Luck!

Thank you, I'll try that this week when I can get a chance.

Microsoft have the fix for you, it's called Win10. I seriously think this issue is by design from Microsoft to get people to get Win10. Well, not me, I am on Win8.1 which has no update issue. But next year it might develop one, eh, Microsoft?

Xerack thank you I tried KB3172605 and it worked.

Good Luck!

You'd think that for as much as we paid for 7 Ultimate they could at least keep Windows Update working properly for the life of the product.

Updates are zippy on my Linux Mint boxes. I had to disable updates altogether on my last Windows system, Microsoft keeps breaking support for older games and that's all it gets used for these days.

Yea, Microsoft blacklisted Safedisk/Securom but won't dare blacklist Flash. You can re-enable the DRM for older game with this command.

To start it;

sc config secdrv start= demand
sc start secdrv

To stop it;

sc stop secdrv
sc config secdrv start= disabled

Back