Help wiring Monoprice Cat6 Patch Panel

$ilent

n00b
Hello, I recently purchased two Monoprice brand 12-Port Mini Patch Panels and the instructions as well as color scheme on the back is totally confusing the hell out of me. Is anyone familiar with wiring one of these things up? I'm planning on wiring them up tomorrow and would like some advice.

Here is a photo of the back as well as the instructions.

Notice how there is no color coding to make it easier, etc.
5298411374_252b91e41d.jpg

5298411344_f8635d1ec1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

It has 2 wiring standards on it. Pick one and use it at both ends of the cable. I use the T568B, ignore the A and follow that standard for both ends and your golden!

I bought a shelf from mono price and got a piece of candy.

Ummm, you posted a picture of the color coding... However, I discovered while putting one of these in for a friend recently that their labels are wrong. Notice that if you follow their A code you'll have two orange pairs, and if you follow the B code you'll have two green pairs. I believe the bottom color lines should be A on top and B on bottom (instead of B on top and A on bottom as shown), though I'll have to check his patch panel to be 100% sure of that.

Looking at your picture, starting at the top left, you have pins 3, 6, 5, 4 for port 6. Continuing to the right, next you have 3, 6, 5, 4 for port 5. There's a break and the next section has 3, 6, 5, 4 for port 4 and 3, 6, 5, 4 for port 3. Then another break and you have 3, 6, 5, 4 for port 2 and 3, 6, 5, 4 for port 1. Starting in the lower left, you have 1, 2, 7, 8 for port 6, then 1, 2, 7, 8 for port 5, etc. The little color code sticker covers one port, which is repeated 6 times. It does look a little weird since each "section" is actually half of two ports. You should end up with each cable punched down to 4 places on top and 4 on the bottom.

I think this is the proper color code (minus the white wires - BBcode doesn't support striped colors =) ) for where each colored pair goes, but I won't be 100% sure until I verify on my friend's panel. You'll end up with the wires from each cable punched down like this:
66665555 44443333 22221111

66665555 44443333 22221111

The blue pair for the first cable will go in the upper right, then the green pair next to that. In the lower right, you'll have the brown pair then the orange pair. The second cable will start right next to those, with its blue pair next to the first cable's green pair and the brown pair next to the first cable's orange pair.

I'll see if I can get some pics of his patch panel for you. Since the color code on the label was messed up, I didn't trust it at all and actually ohmed it out to make sure.

After studying it a little closer I discovered the wiring scheme was off just like u stated which is why I was getting confused. If u can post photos please do. I initially thought each segment was for 1 port as well but apparently they are not. Thanks for the quick response.

I remembered correctly - the bottom half of their diagram should have A on top and B on the bottom, just like the top half. I relabeled the lines, as well as crossing out the A lines to ensure that if my friend added more runs in the future, he'd use B like he's supposed to.

MeritlineCAT6Patch1.jpg

This is what a single cable punched down should look like.
MeritlineCAT6Patch2.jpg

Just use 4 top and 4 bottom connections for each cable, and follow the color code on their sticker, using the lower line on both top (labeled B) and bottom (incorrectly labeled A).

Hopefully my wiring looks acceptable there, but the cable my friend got (also from Monoprice I believe) actually has the blue pair next to the orange pair and the brown pair next to the green pair inside the sheath. It looks pretty natural in that pic, but I actually had to pull the blue pair up from the bottom and the brown pair down from the top to get them to match up to the patch panel. If you just strip the cable and pull each pair out away from the + thingy in the center, the blue pair would be in the lower right and the brown pair would be in the upper right. It's not a big deal, just a little annoying to have to monkey with each cable to get the pairs in the right place to punch down.

Now that I look at it closer, all i gotta say is wow:eek:

I guess that is the price of cheap! Black out what is wrong.

We have a company we work with for telephones, they do work for some schools and one school he had said the teacher would get boxes of seconds/blems/over runs of keystone jacks, patch panels, fiber cables, etc. The guy had asked that they use those instead of their stock. As they start to wire up the place, the realize that the jacks are mis-labeled, and they finally told the guy "you can pay us to do it over and over until we get it right or you can pay us to do it right the first time with our stuff". He said ti was a mess, 1 guy wiring at one and and another at the other and nothing would test out.

I am going to have to go back and see what I got for patch panels I know I bought some monoprice stuff, anyone ever shoot them an email on it? I had to RMA a touch screen monitor and they had the replacment out the same night I filled out an online RMA, was a breeze.

I'm thinking about contacting them tomorrow and asking them why they are not labeled correctly. I understand that you get what you pay for but this is unacceptable. They could have at least included better directions and a "correct" sticker to avoid confusion.

What would really confuse the hell out of me is why half of the connections (for 1 port) are on the top row and half are on the bottom. I can only imagine that making the PCB harder to route (certainly, it would be a pain in the ass to lay out in EAGLE or what have you).

I have an older revision of the monoprice 24 port cat6 patch panel (manufactured about a year ago), and this one has the correct wiring diagram. It also has each port on the same row, so you have 1-3-5 on the top, and 2-4-6 on the bottom, none of this splitting foolishness.

Hey Guys,

I am sorry to here about the issues you are experiencing with our patch panels. I am here to do what I can. It seems we did have a bad batch. I am going to pull panels from our current inventory, and look into this issue further and verify areas for revision also to make sure the issue was corrected. If you purchased the panels directly from us you can submit a RMA request to [email protected], if it was purchased through a third party then I would suggest contacting them for a replacement as well. Again I am truly sorry for any inconvenience it and caused you, and I hope you continue to visit Monoprice.com for your networking needs.

Nice to see the company joining in. I order all my stuff when possible through monoprice. Only time I hate Monoprice is when they are out of stock of an item. I actually ordered 1 Keystone Patch Panel, for some reason I got a case of them, sent em back. I like the company dont need to cheat em.

I mostly buy:
cables - pre terminated and bulk
patch panel
keystone and wall plates
wall mounts, etc

Hey Guys,

I am sorry to here about the issues you are experiencing with our patch panels. I am here to do what I can. It seems we did have a bad batch. I am going to pull panels from our current inventory, and look into this issue further and verify areas for revision also to make sure the issue was corrected. If you purchased the panels directly from us you can submit a RMA request to [email protected], if it was purchased through a third party then I would suggest contacting them for a replacement as well. Again I am truly sorry for any inconvenience it and caused you, and I hope you continue to visit Monoprice.com for your networking needs.

That's awesome. Guess who I'm buying my next patch panel from :D

They are amazing on the RMA. I bought a touch screen monitor from them. I submissted the RMA at like 6pm and that night a replacement was sent out.

I did buy some zip ties from them that where total junk, they where really large ones and it was a 50% success rate:(

I got bunch of zip ties almost a pack of each size, no issues yet, haven't used the really large ones yet

I got bunch of zip ties almost a pack of each size, no issues yet, haven't used the really large ones yet

The small ones work great, the large ones are brittle and break or don't latch. It sucks when you are 30' up in the air and in a hurry:(

Must be made in China. Sometimes paying bottom dollar doesn't make sense.

If I hadn't already wired them both patch panels in, I would consider sending them back but at this point it simply isn't worth the hassle. Hopefully the problems are corrected for future monoprice customers.

i order way too much from monoprice :D

I love that they have california overnight as an option.

$4 for next day delivery is great!!

I order from monoprice when I can. Nice to see a representative chime in in the forum and offer to help out with an issue.

I used to have the same one patch panel in my old condo and the color code was correct in my case so wiring wasn't a issue. Now that I bought a new house, I bought a new 24 port patch panel and it's also correct.

Great to see the CS is top notch ;)

I got a 12 port 5e/6 patch panel this past week from Monoprice and it has incorrect wiring stickers on it too. Are just the wiring stickers incorrect or are there other problems with this panel too?

Thank you.

I got a 12 port 5e/6 patch panel this past week from Monoprice and it has incorrect wiring stickers on it too. Are just the wiring stickers incorrect or are there other problems with this panel too?

Thank you.

Not surprising. Everything I have seen from Monoprice that comes with a spec sheet or instructions has been a train wreck. I keep buying stuff since it is cheap, I just lower my expectations before reading anything.

Functionally your panel should work fine though!

Wow thats some screw up on their end.

I just used their 48 port patch panels... i used the 24 ports at my office, the 48 port are changed since my first purchase of the 24 port.

I actually find it easier to wire theres. With other patch panels i'd have 1 wire on top, 1 wire on bottom. Made it trickier when you did the first row and came back for 2nd... with theres im securing one cable on top and on bottom (4 wires on top, 4 wires on bottom).

Was a lil confusing at first to me but figured it out.

Back