HELP windows 2003 domain madness

JucyTEC

Limp Gawd
I just installed DNS and AD on my windows 2k3 server While i'm sure it was configured right.... I can't seem to log on to the server domain from any of the computers in my house.

if someone can help me getting down to the bottom of this i'll be very happy...

Server running on 192.168.0.10 and DNS pointing to it as well...

DNS suffix jucytec.local
NET BIOS: jucytec-s
Pre windows 2000 domain: jucytec

dynamic update is on both secure and non

nameserver pointing to jucytec-s.jucytec.local @ 192.168.0.10

Am i missing something on the workstations?

I've made the user accounts and computer accounts ON the server itself, but...

When i try to access the domain jucytec or jucytec.local it saids it cannot find because the domain does not exist. and i never get the prompt to enter my user info.

I cannot ping the server IP (all computers are running on the same switch and DHCP is being run through a router)

all IPs are dynamic EXCEPT the server which obviously is Static.
ICS disabled on all machines.

Why can't i access my domain? Help!!

Have you set up DHCP on the server? Created a scope? Set the options? Is DHCP turned OFF on your router?

Edit-

re-read and see you have DHCP enabled on the router- turn it off. Set up DHCP on the server. Set scope options to point to your DNS server, and gateway (router IP). Configure DNS forwarders to point to ISP dns servers for internet resolution

the problem like the poster said above me is that your dns is more than likely being pointed to your isp's dns server. you have 2 choices, you can either setup dhcp on your domain controller/dns server, or you can give your clients your dc's address as their dns server. best practice though is to setup dhcp on your domain controller. also, check the event viewer on your clients and servers to see if there's any warnings. you can gain a wealth of knowledge from there. check eventid.net for solutions to problems you see in your event viewer.

hope this helps

Configure DNS and DHCP on the domain controller. Turn off DHCP on the router. Find out what your ISP's DNS servers are. Look at the routers DHCP lease from your ISP for this. Have the domain controller's DNS forward to your ISP's DNS.

Also, you will need to add/join the PCs to the domain. I wasn't sure if that's what you meant by log onto the domain.

Many Active Directory issues are caused by/symptomatic of problems with DNS.

I took the DNS adresses and added them to my dns forwards.

I also installed DHCP on my server and now the router is acting as a switch. while the other PCs on my network is able to get online, i'm still not able to log on to my jucytec.local domain. I have set the scope as well...

where should i look now?

EDIT - although i have disabled DHCP on my router and enabled it on my server... I still cannot ping my server IP... how is this possible?

Are the workstations and server on the same subnet?
Any firewalls inbetween the server and workstations?

JucyTEC said:
Same Subnet and no firewalls.

If you can't ping, then something is preventing it. ergo. bad patch cable, bad port on switch, incorrect network settings, software firewall, etc.

Keep checking since there is no since in doing anything advanced if you can't do a basic ping from one system to another.

YeOldeStonecat said:

Finally... I got it to work!

Thanks alot to all man it was a newbish mistake!

The remote access and routing feature had firewall enabled, but when i disabled it, it made no changes to the network.. so i stopped the service and reconfigured it and diabled my network connection, enabled it again...

and now i could ping my server!

and now i'm on the domain. anyways, thanks to everyone who helped out, it was very helpful

Back