Help w/ finalization onf AMD64 Parts

Jeebs

n00b
Hey,

This is my first time building any type of system. I have a few questions that will follow the parts I'm most likely going to order in the next couple of days. Any input on changes would be greatly appreciated.

The parts I'm looking at are: Here

If the link doesn't work then the main parts are:

Shuttle AN50-R
AMD 64bit 3200+
Gainward GF FX5950 Ultra
Creative Labs SB Audigy ZS
Ram Corsair 3200 - 1gig
Encased in an Antec 1080AMG w/ 430w ps

I've chose all of this from just reading up a ton.. I think I'm going to stick with the 3200 for the long run. The ram I'm not sure about that's what I have questions on. If anyone could give me some input that would be appreciated.

The processor is retail so I'm wondering if the heatsink/fan will already be attached or should I purchase that thermal compound in my list.

I think that is all for now.

Thanks for any help,

Jeebs

Wait a week or two. With the release of the 3400+ tomorrow, the 3200+ should drop a bit, maybe as much as $50. The motherboard is an excellent choice. Make sure the ram you're buying is compatible with your motherboard. Check the manufacturer's website to see. Athlon 64 motherboards are really picky when it comes to the ram their using.

Why the 5950 video card? You are aware that they don't play DX 9.0 games to well right? Just wondering about that decision.

Definitely buy the sound card. The onboard sound on the AN50 is not that great.

I didn't read into the 5950 quite a bit. That changes me over to a Radeon 9800 XT or Pro?

If iI go the XT route would you recommened the Hercules or stick with ATI or Asus.

I'll probably hold on the 3200 and mobo until the price drops on it. I'll probably order most of the rest.

Personally I'd stick with Asus or ATI. I don't have any Hercules experience, but if someone else does, they can jump in anytime and make a recommendation. I've owned several Asus/ATI cards over the last two years and have never had a problem with either. They're both built quite well. Get which ever one gives you a better deal, what do they come bundled with? How much extra are you paying for the bundle? Etc... The nice thing about the AN50 is the AGP speed is locked.

Okay, looks like I'm going to stick with an ATI 9800XT and look for some Corsair XMS Pro 3200LL. It'll work in the single channel :)

Originally posted by cambio
You don't want the twinx1024. It's for dual channel. You want 2 of the cmx512 3200C2PT.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-420&depa=1

Or pro version. Here's a recent review of the pro with all the bells and whistles:

http://www.subzerotech.com/index/module/sz_reviews_display/id/179

They are excellent low-latency ram choices for the 3200+...

Have fun with your new rig, it'll be schweet!

he can get twinx if he wants... it really dosent matter. there is no such thing as dual channel ram. it is the chipset, or in this case; the processor that provides a dual channel memory system. the ram is only two sticks that were manufactured one after the other... so to speak.

Back