Help Setting up VLANs on Procurve switches

mikecLA

Weaksauce
I have:

Procurve 1810-24G
Procurve 2520-8-PoE

Router (with Internet Connection) is plugged into port 24 of the 1810.
My asterisk server is plugged into Port 1 of the 1810.
The 2520 is plugged into Port 2 of the 1810, and all of the VoIP phones are plugged into the 2520.
Rest of the office computers are plugged into the remaining ports on the 1810.

Questions:
After setting up the subnet and assigning an ip to the 1810, everything else just worked out of the box. I would imagine that I should segment and prioritize the network so that the VOIP traffic is isolated and is higher priority from everything else.

I tried playing around a bit, but the phones lost connectivity, so I just defaulted everything back for now.

What would the suggestions be for setting up the VLANS properly to do this?
I would also need one of the office PC's (say the one plugged into port 13 of the 1810) to be able to access the asterisk server.

Also, would it be more optimal to have the asterisk server on the PoE switch or the main switch?

VLAN 1 on the Procurves is untagged by default. Create a data vlan and create a voice vlan. On port 2 of the 1810, tag each vlan and then do the same on the port that the 1810 uses to connect to the 2520.

If you have data vlan as vlan 1 and voice as vlan 2, untag each ip phone port as vlan 2 and tag vlan 1. On the data ports, untag vlan 1 and tag vlan 2.

It won't matter which switch your asterisk server is setup on if the switches are connected correctly. Just untag and tag vlans appropriately.

When you're "trunking" the two switches together. Set all VLAN's to tagged on that port.

So if port 1 on the 1810 is going to port 1 on the 2520, set each of those ports for tagged on all vlan's, including the default.

Trying not to thread-jack, but how would you set it up when over the 2 switches you have the computers plugged into the phones, then into the switch.

Decent IP phones allow you to use tagging on the phone, essentially, the phone contains a 3 port managed switch. You configure the phone to use vlan 2, the uplink port automatically then is a tagged port. The downlink port to the PC is configured for vlan 1.

Configure the switch port to which the phone is attached to be tagged.

alternatly, configure the switch port to be a hybrid port, where it supports tagged traffic, but accepts any untagged traffic and places it in vlan 1. Then you only have to configure the phone to use vlan 2, the downlink port on the phone would automatically use the untagged vlan you configured as the default on the switch.

Decent IP phones allow you to use tagging on the phone, essentially, the phone contains a 3 port managed switch. You configure the phone to use vlan 2, the uplink port automatically then is a tagged port. The downlink port to the PC is configured for vlan 1.

Configure the switch port to which the phone is attached to be tagged.

alternatly, configure the switch port to be a hybrid port, where it supports tagged traffic, but accepts any untagged traffic and places it in vlan 1. Then you only have to configure the phone to use vlan 2, the downlink port on the phone would automatically use the untagged vlan you configured as the default on the switch.

Essentially, all of the phones are on the same port of the 1810, since the PoE router is plugged into that and I only have phones plugged into the PoE router. I'm guessing I just need to include that one port on the 1810 as tagged and the asterisk server.

My problem now is that every time I try to add a vlan, I end up losing management to the switch and have to factory reset it. This has to be something stupid I'm missing.

The IP address by which you manage the switch only belongs to one VLAN. If you have VLAN 4 with an IP address on it, your management PC needs to be:

- on the same VLAN with an IP address in the same subnet
OR
- on a different VLAN which is routed to that first VLAN.

Figured out the management issue.

On the phone side of it, simply tagging port 2 on the 1810 and including the asterisk server and internet trunk won't let phones register (They are Aastra 6757i).

Not sure if this accomplishes anything, but here's how I got it to work:

On the 1810G, port 1 is my asterisk server, port 2 is the PoE hub, port 24 is the Internet Connection to the router.

Default Vlan:
1, 24 Excluded
2 Tagged
3-23 Untagged

Vlan 2:
2 Tagged
rest excluded

Vlan 3:
1,2,24 Untagged, rest excluded

Forgot to add, should I set Port 2 on the 1810 to priority 7?

One slight modification to above:
Vlan3 has the office computer ports untagged and excluded on vlan1

Back