Help Setting up Static LAN IP's

Sob Rogue

Limp Gawd
My computer and NAS are connected to my router. Both have two dozen ports opened to them for apps, games, etc. Every time I unplug my laptop, and return, the local IP changes and I have to go back and reset all those ports to the new address. This same thing happens to my NAS when it restarts. Is there a way to assign a static LAN IP to just those two devices and keep DHCP on?

If not, how do I set up a static Lan IP address's with all my devices through my router? I been playing around with it with no luck. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I have the wrong equipment.

I'm not a networking expert and would really be happy not having to reset the IP every time I unplug my computer..:mad:

My Equipment:
Router - TEW-432brp
NAS - QNAP TS-101

Thanks,
Rogue

Easiest would be to just specify static DHCP leases (so every time the devices ask the router for an IP they get the same on that you specify).

You will want to login to your router, go to the LAN & DHCP page, enter the device name (can be anything you want), IP you want it to have, and its MAC address. Do this for each device you want to have a static assignment. For wireless clients you can get the MAC Address on the Status --> Wireless page in the router. For LAN clients, you can go to the command prompt on windows and enter "arp -a" without quotes and it will show you the IPs and MAC address of all the devices on your network.

The other option is to specify a static IP in the device properties...in windows you go to the network connections panel, right click on the interface and go to properties, then click on Internet Protocol in the list and hit the properties button. There you can specify the IP for the machine, subnet mask (which should just be 255.255.255.0), gateway (your routers IP), and DNS (can just be your routers IP or you could use something like www.opendns.com).

In either case, the IPs you specify should just have a change of the last digit from your routers IP. So for example, if your router is 192.168.0.1, the clients can be any 192.168.0.2 - 254 IP address. Or if your router is 192.168.1.1, the clients can be any 192.168.1.2 - 254 IP address.

Just to add to the above post. When you set your static IP address you don't want to use the same ones given out by your DHCP client. If your router gives out say 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254 use IP addresses below 100 but above 1. If you end up with two PCs with the same IP address it will crash your network. If you turn DHCP off you can use any thing above 192.168.0.1.

As mentioned above, the DHCP lease is probably the easiest to set up with the least impact on your network.

DHCP "reservations"..done on the DHCP server/service, you can have them in the regular handout range, as when your create a reservation, the DHCP service knows it's taken, and it will not mistakingly hand it out again.

When you're doing manual IP settings yourself right at the workstation, that's when you want to make sure you use IPs outside of the normal DHCP hand out range.

Would this be the correct place to reserve the address?

routingstatic.jpg

If so, what would I enter under Metric?

No. If it is possible on your router the setting should be somewhere around the DHCP server settings. Not all devices support this, you might have to configure static IPs on each host instead of using the router.

No, its on the bottom of the LAN & DHCP page on your router. I looked in the manual.

Back