Help... SCSI thing...

lord_emperor

Limp Gawd
I got a free scanner (w00t) but it's SCSI :confused: .

It's got a 25-pin connector that looks like a printer port (see picture, the one with the red arrow) which goes to the SCSI card I assume.

scsicable.jpg

The other end you see there attaches to the scanner, or it can use a cable that is the same on both ends.

scsiscanner.jpg

I'm trying to ebay a SCSI card with the external 25-pin connector, but I don't know what the kind I want would be called.

Can anyone identify what SCSI standard that is? Or what is likely to work.

The reason there are two ports on the scanner is so you can continue the SCSI chain if you wanted to. The parallel port end of your cable goes to your SCSI card and the larger end goes into the scanner. You will then need to terminate that other SCSI port on the scanner so your SCSI card knows where the end of the chain is. I have not worked with SCSI this old in a while so I don't remember if it's an active terminator or just a switch somewhere. I would think that any SCSI card you could find with a 25-pin connector would be fine. My friend at work was trying to find a 25-pin scsi card for his SCSI and gave up looking because none of the ones he found worked in Windows XP. Hopefully you have more luck than he did.

The most common SCSI-1 card that had an external DB-25 female connector was an ISA Adaptec AVA-1502E. See this ebay auction for an example
However, we all know how ancient ISA is. Most modern SCSI cards use a HD-50 pin Female connector as an external interface. If you have a card like that, all you need is a HD-50 Male to DB-25 Female adapter. See this auction for an example
For what it's worth, the DB-25 Female connector for SCSI-1 was the standard interface connector for most early Macintoshes. Also, that scanner is most likely automatically terminated internally.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your help guys!

Has anyone used an Adaptec AVA-2902 or AVA-2903B? They seem to be the most common PCI cards showing up on ebay.

Back