• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help. Screen "shakes" with 5850

Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
58
Sorry, posted this in the wrong section. Don't think I can delete it.

I bought an XFX 5850 and installed it in a new build recently.

My problem is sometimes the screen "shakes" up and down.
It'll occur infrequently when nothing is happening on screen.
But when a webpage is loading pictures, or I am scrolling up and down, the image shakes/shifts up and down.
I tried re-installing the drivers but it is still doing the same thing.
Any ideas?
 
Last edited:
What monitor do you have?
How do you have it hooked up? (hdmi? dvi?)
When does it happen? What are you doing when it happens?
Only certain colors (or black?)
 
It's like a fat guy walking by... :D
Are you sure it's not the scroll wheel on your mouse?
 
Change the DVI port that the display is plugged into. On my 5870 if I have my monitor plugged just into the first slot it'll "shake" when starting up and shutting down windows. On the other slots it's totally fine.
 
I have a Sony P232W monitor connected via DVI. It's a pretty old LCD.
It happens randomly only rarely. However i can make it almost happen at will when i'm scrolling up or down a webpage whether it be via scrollwheel, keyboard, or dragging the scroll bar. It also happens a lot during video playback.
It is basically the whole screen jitterring.

I tried using the other DVI plug. It's hard to explain what happens. Instead of jittering, the screen goes crazy for a split second.

And sorry about the two threads, I thought this one was in the AMD section as opposed to the general vid card section.
 
I had this exact issue on one of my 5870s when I first got it. The screen would shake in 2D mode when a page was loading or if there was movement on screen. In games/3D, there would be no problem. After three days, the shaking stopped, but this issue was replaced by the dreaded 2D blue/green dot issue. Luckily, I was able to swap out the cards in Crossfire mode so the issue didn't happen.

The cause is likely one of three things: bad DVI cable or connection, bad vram on your card (this was my issue), bad PSU. Try to eliminate these points to find your problem.
 
I had this exact issue on one of my 5870s when I first got it. The screen would shake in 2D mode when a page was loading or if there was movement on screen. In games/3D, there would be no problem. After three days, the shaking stopped, but this issue was replaced by the dreaded 2D blue/green dot issue. Luckily, I was able to swap out the cards in Crossfire mode so the issue didn't happen.

The cause is likely one of three things: bad DVI cable or connection, bad vram on your card (this was my issue), bad PSU. Try to eliminate these points to find your problem.

I will try the DVI cable.
Don't know how to check the vram on the card.
It's a new PSU so it is probably not that.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
 
Another thing to check is where you have it plugged in. Make sure its plugged into its own outlet to prevent distortion.
 
I had this happen to me once when using Firefox it shakes when you delete the bookmarks from it (pretty rare) see if its only when you're using firefox or when doing something else.
 
Tried a new DVI plug, but that didn't work either.
Still using IE, haven't gotten around to installing Firefox since I've been trying to resolve this issue.
Don't think it is the power outlet since I have the monitor and computer connected to a UPS.
Guess I will wait for a response from XFX and hopefully get an RMA.
Thanks everybody.
 
Just installed my new 5850 tonight and got this problem right away. Discovered the cause--see this thread:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=290694&highlight=shake

With GPU-Z open, I saw my core and memory clocks bouncing all over the place as described in the thread. I used the AMD GPU Tool to manually set clocks to default, and it stabilized.

Edit: problem returns after reboot, so using the AMD GPU Tool is just a temporary solution.
 
Last edited:
Anyone else experiencing this issue? I'm attempting to get it resolved with XFX tech support.

Manually setting the core and memory clocks to factory default setting resolves it, but only until next boot.

I'd think a BIOS flash to manually set the clocks would be a good permanent solution, but would like some kind of official fix for that...
 
Are you overclocking? There is a bug with the 5850/5870 that when you overclock or even just enable overclocking in CCC, scrolling/resizing windows will cause a flicker/shake on the second monitor-- might be related.
 
Nope, no overclocking. Had it happen to me right out of the box at factory settings. I've got the vanilla XFX 5850, no factory OC. Also only running one monitor in my setup.

It's definitely related to clock speeds, because what causes the tearing/shaking (at least in my case) is the core/memory clock speeds fluctuating up and down, completely on their own. If you fix them to a set speed, they'll stay at that speed, and the tearing stops. 100% reproducible for me.
 
I had the same problem, I discovered that if I disable ati overdrive the problem goes away. You can unlock overdrive, that's fine but just don't check the box. I notified XFX support already. This solved my problem with my 5870.
 
I had the same problem, I discovered that if I disable ati overdrive the problem goes away. You can unlock overdrive, that's fine but just don't check the box. I notified XFX support already. This solved my problem with my 5870.

Anybody having this shaking problem needs to try this FIRST^^^^^^ before you do anything else. Please respond here with your results. Thanks
 
The problem with shaking is Ram overclock.
Somehow the overclock with ATi overdrive wont hold the 2d Mem clock so will switch many times from lets say 1200mhz to default 1000mhz, like when you open browser ie. Firefox etc... and then you get shaky screen or jumpy.
If you watch the memory OC line in MSI Afterburner you will see that every single time that screen " Shakes " is cause its switches clocks back to default.
You can fix this easy and keep your OC clocks with "AMD GPU clock tool" and lock your ram clocks so no more shaky or jumpy screen.

No need for update bios or anything like that its just the powerplay in action.
 
Anybody having this shaking problem needs to try this FIRST^^^^^^ before you do anything else. Please respond here with your results. Thanks

Wrong disabling Overide just disables OC speeds and keeps the ram at default speed, so no more shakes, but you loose your OC.
Just read my post above this for solution
 
Back
Top