• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help picking cooling (HSF)

HardyOne

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
179
Here is what I plan to build in a few weeks

Antec P-180 case
Antec TruePower2-550
Asus A8N-SLI-Premium
AMD X2 3800
HSF – Ninja or SI-120
1 ATI X800Pro
2 gigs of memory
2 each SATA HD’s
DVD Burner

I plan to overclock this and I also want a quiet machine (cake and eat it too!)
Here are my questions:
1) Will a Scythe Ninja be better or will the SI-120 be better? (using the Antec P180 case)
2) Which 120 mm fan should I use?

Here are my thoughts: If I use the Ninja, I could use a quieter, slower-RPM, fan because it would be next to the case exhaust fan. If I use the SI-120, it would tend to cool the rest of the motherboard, memory, etc.
 
If you want quiet I would suggest the ninja with like a vantec stealth fan.

Why are you getting an SLI board with an x800 that just seems silly :) If you just got the regular board you would save some $$$
 
Anime_Fan said:
If you want quiet I would suggest the ninja with like a vantec stealth fan.
The Vantec Stealth is far from quiet.

The Ninja would probably be okay in the P180, but for temperature's sake, put on a low-speed Yate Loon/Nexus and undervolt it.
 
_Korruption_ said:
The Vantec Stealth is far from quiet.

The Ninja would probably be okay in the P180, but for temperature's sake, put on a low-speed Yate Loon/Nexus and undervolt it.
pshhh yeea its loud
 
If I go with the Ninja, should I aim the fan up or to the back, since the Antec P180 case has the exhaust fans very close to either?


Also, which fan should I choose for quiet and good cooling?
 
I somehow want to suggest that you go with the new Zalman cooler. It seems like it would fit the case properly because it would push the hot air towards the exhaust on your case.
 
Read my sig :)

I'm very very happy with the XP120/A2018 fan combo - and I like having a knob on the back to adjust the CPU fan speed. Not that I actually adjust it much, but knobs are cool you know.

Plan on removing the fan in the bottom section of the P180 and placing your hard drives down there. If you do that and your power supply has decent fans in it, with the side on the case it will pull enough air through the front across the drives to keep them amazingly cool. In my case, with 3 Hitach 250gb SATA2 drives down there, with the side ON the case even running disk benchmarks they don't get particularly hot. With the side OFF the case, even not running anything to do with the disks and they're just idling after a few hours they get incredibly hot. There are some vents around the back of the PSU area too - I covered them with electrical tape (sounds cheesy but it's not really and you don't see it - and AnandTech did it so it has to be ok lol) and that helps the power supply wind tunnel effect. I also took great care in my cables - I actually assembled everything, got it all working and figured out where all the cables needed to be and then took all the cables loose and routed them precisely.

Airflow in the top of the P180 is similar - the back and top exhaust fans pull a good bit of air in through the front. I did place a fan in the duct over the video card to suck air in from the back - had to place the fan inside the duct because on the outside it hit the video card. In that position it is very close to the back of the duct but it still sucks air in the back.

Quiet wasn't my goal but with the side on, it's quiet by my standards (very lax standards for noise tho - I can tune out about anything.)
 
XP-120 is amazing, best performing out there. Mine is with a silenx led fan (but there are cheaper ones out there), with an fx-55 my temps never top 48, and the heatsink is always cool to the touch.
so reccomend xp/si 120 (same thing, just s120 is higher up for mobo clearance) along with a nexus or vantec quiet fan.
f
 
So, it's either the si-120 or the Ninja. Should I mount the fan (if the Ninja) to the rear or facing up?
 
i dont think that youre gonna need to mount a fan on it since its soo close the the rear and top exhausts fan that those would get the job done
 
dont forget the big typhoon! I just put one in my case and its workin' great. Word is that all of these HSF's perform on par with one another...but the typhoon seems very quiet to my ears (fan speed always ~1000rpm) and I kind of like how big it is..everyone I've shown so far has been wow'd by it =) good luck!
 
I read something that gave me another idea - for the Ninja, I could mount the fan so it blows across the fins towards the back. The case fan at the back and top would then remove the heat. BTW - since I will be overclocking, I do not want to use the Ninja, or others, without having a fan.
 
Back
Top