HELP - need advice/help with ISP for college house

Milenko

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys

Anyways, me and 7 friends got a house for our senior year up at school, only problem is that it's in the town next door to Amherst (we all go to UMass Amherst) - and we got the house in Leverett.

Problem is, Comcast and Verizon do NOT run lines in that town. Our only option is satellite, and from what I've heard, satellite SUCKS.

We were thinking about investing in a T1. Pros and cons? We know it would be expensive, but between the 8 of us and a house or 2 of other college students next door, I don't see how it would be a problem. People in the town (from what I've read) are teaming up and having T1's ran to their neighborhoods and splitting it between a few houses.

So - How should I go about this? How can I see pricing for T1's etc in the area? We don't have a phone # yet, and everything I've found online asks for the # for the house it will be installed at. help!

i dont have a phone # at the house yet though, how can i get around those things asking for one?

Have T1s come down in price lately? Last time I looked they were about 400-600 per month, and that would still hurt split between 7 people. However, that was a couple of years ago, and maybe with the increased competition from business class DSL and cable the price has come down.

Darkstar850 said:
Have T1s come down in price lately? Last time I looked they were about 400-600 per month, and that would still hurt split between 7 people. However, that was a couple of years ago, and maybe with the increased competition from business class DSL and cable the price has come down.

still seem to be the same price, but if i split it with 16 people it's a different story

You don't have to get a full T1 either. You may be able to get a fractal T1, and it will give you better throughput then any DSL or Cable. It should be cheaper then a full T1, just be careful some providers may want to charge you to use their equipment. I have seen that many times.

Another option is to connect some wireless up and a good antenna, then charge other neighbors to connect to your highspeed ISP.... That is what I would do in your situation. If you do this and you end up moving, it may be easier to find someone to take over the cost of the T1. Just a thought.

Good luck to you ....

Back